What makes Spike Out better than Spikers Battle?

Discuss gameplay strategies & post highscores in this forum
OldFoo

What makes Spike Out better than Spikers Battle?

Post by OldFoo »

Spikers Battle was the next incarnation of SpikeOut and was the ill-fated Dreamcast port that got canned at the end. I've heard some people call Spikers Battle worse than SpikeOut, but no details. Can someone fill me in?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Spikeout is a full on scrolling 3d beat-em up in similar vain to Streets of Rage/Final Fight meets VF3 type graphics.. a real tour de force visually.

Spikers Battle is a crap arean fighting game, like Powerstone. The naomi could not cope without the amount of data, compared to M3. Slashout was also very crap compared to Spikeout.

Many people love Spikeout as a co-op fighting game, myself included, it is the closest thing to Streets of Rage in the 3D style.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

As the Naomi replaced the M3, wasn't it supposed to be better overall? (eg. Graphics, sound, memory, speed, etc.)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

When DJ Johny was at my house today buying my Impress he also mentioned how nice VF3 looked compared to 4, so yeah 24k can still beat Naomi 31k.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the scoop guys. Although I've never tired either, being confined to an arena is definately a shortcoming over the previous.

I may try the xbox version since it sounds like that is more like the original SpikeOut, and is only $16 used locally.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

When DJ Johny was at my house today buying my Impress he also mentioned how nice VF3 looked compared to 4.

Huh ? I have them both side by side and vf4 beats vf3 in every aspects.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

model 3 Step 2 is far superior in GFX terms than Naomi 1/2.

Only driving game on Naomi which can rival Model 3 is F355.

Jumbo, Crazy Taxi, 18wheeler are visually weaker than Daytona USA 2/Sega Rally 2 for example.

I can say this as I own pretty much all M3 games and had most Naomi mainstream games.

There is no way Naomi could do Spikeout, I mean Slashout is god damn crap!

Reason Sega used Naomi was it was a heck of a lot cheaper.

I know for a fact the Model 3 had better texture resolution and a lot better mip-map, alaising and such.

Sega knews this and that is why they created Hikaru (the most expensive sega board at the time), sadly Hikaru was too tempermental and expensive, so it only had a few games.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:model 3 Step 2 is far superior in GFX terms than Naomi 1/2.

Jumbo, Crazy Taxi, 18wheeler are visually weaker than Daytona USA 2/Sega Rally 2 for example.

I can say this as I own pretty much all M3 games and had most Naomi mainstream games.

I know for a fact the Model 3 had better texture resolution and a lot better mip-map, alaising and such.

Sega knews this and that is why they created Hikaru (the most expensive sega board at the time), sadly Hikaru was too tempermental and expensive, so it only had a few games.

initialy i thought you were wrong, but i would have to agree if you look at the screenshots on system16, but something tells me it cant be right

photos can be quite kind to some arcade games (dig out your old computer mags check the arcade section and then fire up mame)

Hikaru games seem a bit more model 3 like if you know what i mean
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Russ wrote:
AndyGeezer wrote:model 3 Step 2 is far superior in GFX terms than Naomi 1/2.

initialy I thought you were wrong, but I would have to agree if you look at the screenshots on system16, but something tells me it cant be right

photos can be quite kind to some arcade games (dig out your old computer mags check the arcade section and then fire up mame)

Hikaru games seem a bit more model 3 like if you know what I mean

Difference between Spikeout DBO and Spikers battle?

This is fairly easy: M3 power, M3 3D and DSB2 music.

Andrew is totally right. No way a naomi could handle the amount of data a M3 vid/cpu board can do. The naomi has been conceptualized as a cheap alternative to M3. An easy way to see this is to compare the game libraries of the naomi and M3. All the cool racers on M3 for a bunch of sticks games on the naomi.

Another easy way to notice the difference is to play VOOT: M3 version is fullscreen, naomi is not.

I'm pretty sure the main N2 objective was to shorten the gap between M3 and N1. And this Especially for ID.

Hikaru was precisely a new pure insanely expensive arcade hardware like M3 used to be. It has been developped at first to give complex fire/water effects for BFF. Unfortunately, when M3 was tough as a beast, Hikkis are fragile as cotton.