Official Ikaruga Strategy Thread

Discuss gameplay strategies & post highscores in this forum
OldFoo

Official Ikaruga Strategy Thread

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, so I've been playing this since like, release day. And though ikaruga.co.uk has some great stuff, I'd love to get a thread going where some strategy could be discussed, and yet possibly kept to 'not-quite-superplay-standards'. My highscore (default settings) rings in at just over 10mil, so you can see I'm no 2hands/2player jockey -

I don't know if this thread will catch on, but if it does, I have recording capabilities, and would be all about posting stuff on youtube. That being said, to give this a shot, I'll provide a simple outline for when you post:

1. Post what your goals are; i.e. chaining better in ___ stage, chaining at all, not dying in stage 4, etc.

(please, be bold; if you're a noob, & you're just trying to beat __stage, you will NOT be laughed at, this is meant to be a helpful thread)

2. Any tricks/tips that you've come across, that may be helpful for others (ex: in ___ stage, hug the wall...)

3. What particular section you'd like some tips on (ex: what's the best way to chain at the intro of stage 2?)

Man, i really hope this thread gets going; not quite sure how many love this game as much as I do... I just figured, where a better place to post this, than on sega-naomi.com? And you don't have to have the naomi version to post, by any means! word.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

this is so not happening... :smt069
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

With Ikaruga.co.uk, who needs anything else? My sole goal is to get to chapter 5 on one credit.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Phew this is some serious old thread digging up, wish i'd seen it years ago MCS,It could of/should of been very useful :smt004
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

shaktazuki wrote:My sole goal is to get to chapter 5 on one credit.
In my experience this isn't done without a lot of repetitive game play and memorization first. Even if you're an expert at other shmups.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ikaruga is the only shmup I play consistently. I never got to play Radiant Silvergun, more's the pity.

I used to play Gradius V, but I realized it wasn't any fun. There's just no "hook" to it except nostalgia. Same for R-Type 1 and 2. R-Type Delta is kinda fun (on easy) but after level 3 the difficulty ramps up and it gets to be a chore.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the rail-shooter genre; I wish Sega would re-release Panzer Dragoon Oorta on the Wii.

I still occasionally "Get Bonus!" ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That's so awesome this got replied to lol. :smt042

Stll love this game as much as I did when I first posted this too =)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Bet your shit hot at it now aren't you?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well I can get to 5th stage on 1 credit finally - only took me 8 years! :smt042
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Dedication that is mate,dedication :)