Naomi Vs Naomi2

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Naomi Vs Naomi2

Post by OldFoo »

OK, what's the difference between the Naomi and the Naomi2??

Well the most obvious difference is the colour. White for Naomi & Blue for the Naomi2.

On a more technical note, well lets take a look at the specs...

So basically the major difference between the two systems is the graphics side of the system.

The Naomi2 also boasts a dual-cpu configuration.

On the graphics side, there is a doubling in graphics engines, and the inclusion of a dedicated geometry engine.

So with this increased graphics capability, it's no suprise to hear that Naomi2 games will not run on the Naomi.

However, Naomi games will run on the Naomi2, with no difference in look or performance compared to when played on a Naomi - even if Terry the expert from the pub say's it does - as the code in Naomi games has not been written to take advantage of the extra graphics hardware of the Naomi2.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Can someone please show me the difference between a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 in how they look. Show pictures to be specific. I have a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 and they look exactly alike to me. I want to make sure so if I buy one on ebay or something I want to make sure I'm getting the right one. Thanks.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

As per main site:

Naomi 1 is white, Naomi 2 is dark blue.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

superguile wrote: I have a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 and they look exactly alike to me.

If you have both systems and can't differentiate them then what help do you hope to get from photos?

Naomi 1 is white, Naomi 2 is dark blue.
Also sticker is different ;)

BTW isn't the table posted by dj_johnnyg wrong? As both the Naomi and the Naomi2 have just one SH4 CPU?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Table adapted from system16
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Both Naomi's have one processor. Naomi2 has 2 video processors. Zeroh is correct in stating that it is a type/error in the System16 listing. :smt018

superguile wrote:Can someone please show me the difference between a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 in how they look. Show pictures to be specific. I have a Naomi 1 and a Naomi 2 and they look exactly alike to me. I want to make sure so if I buy one on ebay or something I want to make sure I'm getting the right one. Thanks.
Are you sure you didn't get tricked into getting a Naomi1 at a Naomi2 price? Either someone lied to you, or someone has changed the casing. During power-up, the splash screen will say either "Naomi" or "Naomi 2". You can also check the BIOS version to see which one it is. They are not interchangeable.