DIMM board battery questions answered.

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

DIMM board battery questions answered.

Post by OldFoo »

This post is a compilation of a previous thread on the old forum and will hopefully answers most of your questions about Dimm board batteries. Thanks to the original contributors ;)

• The battery mainly keeps the game in memory, but it deletes itself if the Naomi isnt powered within 3 days.
  • The manual says a new battery will last 16 months with normal use.
  • A Dimm board with no battery present will work fine, only booting time will be a bit longer.
  • A new battery from SUZO costs ?80 ($140).
  • Its possible to buy a 3rd party battery here but it will need a little modification, Original battery comes with 3 wires this one has 2. The only difference in both batteries is a little pcb that controls how the battery charges and prevents overcharging and over-current. If this pcb is fitted to the new batteries, then it will work. I think joshua3dg did the modification, pm him for extra infos if you plan on buying one.
  • The official Sega battery has 1400mAh and can go as high as 2400mAh with the aftermarket types, maybe more.
Last edited by OldFoo on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nice info Gilles. :)

joshua3dg, can you post info on mod for second source battery. :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

SkiDog wrote:Nice info Gilles. :)

Yeah, sure thing. The after-market battery, and the original battery are nearly identical. What you need to do is:

1) De-solder the pcb from the both battery packs.

2) Solder the 3-wire pcb to the new pack

keeping in mind + and -.

A little soldering experience is helpful to make it neat. Other than that, works like a charm! :smt082

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:

Yeah, sure thing. The after-market battery, and the original battery are nearly identical. What you need to do is:

keeping in mind + and -.

A little soldering experience is helpful to make it neat. Other than that, works like a charm! :smt082

Thanks Joshua
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'm in the UK how do I get 1?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

RGP wrote:I'm in the UK how do I get 1?

Well, I'm not sure all-battery will ship internationally, but this site does:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1534. Check them out! ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Wow, talk about a good deal (at least compared to rip off 1st party). That always kind of worried me about getting a gdrom setup after hearing you guys talk about dimm boards with dead batteries.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

gamejunkie wrote:Wow, talk about a good deal (at least compared to rip off 1st party). That always kind of worried me about getting a gdrom setup after hearing you guys talk about dimm boards with dead batteries.
It's not too much of a big deal. DIMM boards work fine without the battery. It will just have to reload the same game each time it is powered down because there is no power backup for the RAM.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:
It's not too much of a big deal. DIMM boards work fine without the battery. It will just have to reload the same game each time it is powered down because there is no power backup for the RAM.

Which just gives me enough time to go & have a cuppa ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:

keeping in mind + and -.

Hey Josh, I'm just trying to get an idea of how it looks before I go cutting into the SEGA battery. Take a look at this link: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1083. Is this how the PCB in the SEGA batteries is wired? I assume it is the "commons" that is the third wire that is run to the connector? If this is the correct PCB, wouldn't it be possible to get some of the connectors and make up one from scratch (and bypassing the need to hack up the SEGA battery)? I guess then it would just be a matter of sourcing that connector, right?