replacement fan in GD-Rom - same type as Naomi?

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

replacement fan in GD-Rom - same type as Naomi?

Post by OldFoo »

I guess the title says it all... before I open it up, is the fan in the GD Rom the same size/model as the one in the Naomi/CPS2 boards?

thanks!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, the fan in the GDROM has the same dimensions as the fan in a NAOMI1/NAOMI2. I even think they are of the same type, but not sure..

I recently replaced both fans with a PAPST 612F/L. What a difference such a simple modification can make.. :-)

EDIT:

Info on the fan:

http://www.ebmpapst.com/de/products/com ... ?pID=53767

One of the many places to buy them:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=papst_60mm
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

sweet, glad it's not some rare and hard to find piece!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What type of connector does it have to power it inside the naomi/gdrom? Is it just a 4 pin molex like what comes on those fans that was linked?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The fan comes with a standard Molex connector, so you will have to re-use the connector that is part of the original wiring.

I just cut the wires, and soldered the wires with the original connector to the new fan.

And then happily threw the old fans in the garbage bin.. :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So I guess since one can (and would actually need to) rewire it, then any 60mm 12VDC fan will work then?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes. Any 12V standard fan, 60x60x15mm will probably do. More airflow is always better, but also makes more noise :-) There are some super-quiet fans out there, but be careful not to choose one that hardly moves any air at all :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

*late reply back* Thanks for the extra clarification, Cageman!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So the PAPST 612F/L is quiet and yet still has enough airflow for the Naomi board and the Gdrom unit? What about the Sun Psu? I recently replaced the nonworking fan in my psu with one from a pc power supply and its really loud. It does blow a lot of air but with the cab on and the naomi gdrom setup on, its super noisy. Will this fan work for all 3 sections of my Naomi cab? Psu, Naomi 1 board and Gdrom unit?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If the fan in there now is a 60mm fan then it should work.