replacement fan in GD-Rom - same type as Naomi?

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cell wrote:So the PAPST 612F/L is quiet and yet still has enough airflow for the Naomi board and the Gdrom unit? What about the Sun Psu? I recently replaced the nonworking fan in my psu with one from a pc power supply and its really loud. It does blow a lot of air but with the cab on and the naomi gdrom setup on, its super noisy. Will this fan work for all 3 sections of my Naomi cab? Psu, Naomi 1 board and Gdrom unit?

Are you asking if the 1 fan in the PSU will move enough air that you can disable the ones in the Naomi and the GD-Rom? I assume the answer is no... if you are willing to risk your hardware, perhaps test it out....

(I don't recommend this btw, would be a crappy lesson to learn)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think he meant if the SUN PSU will take the same fan (60x60x15).. I recently replaced the fan in my SUN PSU, but cannot remember what I put in there. I will check and let you know..
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ill restate my 2 questions:

1. Does the PAPST 612F/L fan run quiet and yet still have good air flow?

If so I will buy some and replace my noisy as hell Naomi 1 board fan and Gdrom fan.

I recently replaced my Sun PSU (naomi power suppy unit) fan which wasnt working at all when I bought my cab. Replaced with a fan I had laying around my office. It has super air flow but is very loud. Now with the Psu, Naomi board and the gdrom its almost impossible to hear anything. Im slightly exaggerating but still. My next question:

2. Will the PAPST 612F/L fan (the one mentioned in this thread) also work as a replacement for the fan in the Sun Psu. That way I could just buy 3 fans at once.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Finn
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I understood your question. As far as I can tell, the PAPST fan works fine. My Naomi2 is still running without issues, as is the GDROM. Both have the same Papst fan, like I stated before.

I will take a look at my SUN PSU for you. I know I have put a fan in the PSU that moves more air. It produces something like 21dB, but is still very quiet. I thought is was a Sharkoon fan, but I'll check.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks so much. Yeah if the PAPST fan Id love to know a fan that will work in the PSU and still be quiet. Thanks.