Naomi 2 VGA out - PC monitor compatible?

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Naomi 2 VGA out - PC monitor compatible?

Post by OldFoo »

Can you plug the mainboard straight in to a PC monitor?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, but first check if the Naomi is set to 31khz.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It appears to auto-detect, but how do I change that setting? Thanks.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

When using a VGA monitor with the NAOMI, set the DIP switch no.1 to the OFF position. It will set the NAOMI to 31khz.

In the ON position, it will give 15khz, which a standard VGA monitor cannot handle.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cool - so if I wanted to replace the monitor with a suitably sized PC monitor, I'm good to go!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Wait, is the 15k signal the same as 480i ?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hey sorry to hijack your thread but is this also the same method as with naomi 1? many thanks(first time poster and without a naomi as of yet)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, both systems output the same type of video signal.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi, came across this thread whilst searching google and was wondering if it was possible to replace the monitor in my naomi universal cabinet with a 15khz (MS9) one, set the naomi to output in 15khz and make a new cable as the monitor does not have a vga input?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

smeghead wrote:Hi, came across this thread whilst searching google and was wondering if it was possible to replace the monitor in my naomi universal cabinet with a 15khz (MS9) one, set the naomi to output in 15khz and make a new cable as the monitor does not have a vga input?

Welcome ;-)

Yes, you can. Would be a bit of a shame, though.. the Naomi looks best in 31khz.