Extra button wiring question - sorry :(

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Extra button wiring question - sorry :(

Post by OldFoo »

So I bought my first Naomi this week. Am using it in a New Astro City cab with a Capcom I/O and MvsC2.

My cab has a two-player 6 button CP, and has previously been set up to run a multigame board, which it does fine with all six buttons working.

But plugging the Naomi in and buttons 4-6 don't register at all on the cab on either player side. Bizarrely, I think button 5 on player 1 is set to be the 'test' button, but other than that: nada.

I'm guessing it's a wiring issue but *blush* I have no idea how to check this or fix it if that's the case.

Any one can lend me a hand?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The multigame PCB most likely used un-connected pins on the JAMMA harness for 4~6. This won't work as the Capcom I/O requires 4~6 on the Kick hrness connector.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ah OK - I *think* that makes sense...

How would I go about fixing this? Would I need to do any soldering to my jamma harness?

I'm kinda new to all this...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Could be, if they used 'unused' pins on the JAMMA harness. It actually makes your cab 'non-JAMMA'.

The buttons will need to be connected using a so-called 'kick harness' that plugs in the Capcom I/O. The original connections on the JAMMA harness (if applicable) would have to be reconnected.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Think I've worked out how whoever wired this did it. They put a handy plug halfway along the six extra button loom so it can plug into a Capcom kick harness.

Whoop!

So I guess I just need to buy a kick harness and fit them into that sort of plug and I'm off.

Dumb question: does anyone know what that connector is called?

Dumb question 2: can only find kick harnesses for sale on eBay US (http://bit.ly/l59811). Is there anywhere in the UK to get one?