wiring jamma

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

wiring jamma

Post by OldFoo »

Hello! Im new here and just got my naomi. Im looking good faq how to wire (with pictures?) jamma to naomi. I have I/O converter, audio amp, power supply and wires. I use to play a supergun and ATX power supply.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome.

Check out the starter FAQ first: http://sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I checked that faq but theres something I dont understand like my psus and that weird black thing in the picture. where do I wire these?

heres also pic from my supergun:

e: Oh! And do I need the sound amp if I connect directly the RCA output to my home stereo?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The black thing is an isolation transformer that you only need for an arcade monitor, it's safe to ignore. You don't need the sound amp as the Naomi outputs line level sound and can be plugged into your stereo directly. To hook it up to your supergun, just plug in the Sega I/O into the JAMMA connector and connect it to the VGA and USB ports on the Naomi (don't hook power from the SUN PSU to power to it, because your supergun looks to have power going to the JAMMA connector).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

tom61 wrote:The black thing is an isolation transformer that you only need for an arcade monitor, it's safe to ignore.

AFAIK, the black transformer normally powers the Amplifier, not the monitor.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

OK! Just hooked up the USB and VGA but theres nothing coming out?

Do I need to hookup the PSU because I think the MOBO isnt getting power? and how do I connect it? Finland has a voltage of 230 V, 50Hz
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Since you have the original Sun PSU, you will be needing a stepdown converter to get the voltage back to 100/110V. The black/white wire on the left of the PSU must be connected to mains AC (in other words: that wire must be connected to the stepdown converter). The wires on the right (two white-colored rectangular connectors) plug straight into the Naomi (can't miss it; only one way they will fit).

So, main thing is to get yourself a stepdown converter (not a light one used to power something like a console, but a somewhat more beefy example that can output about 150W). Reference picture (if you are unsure about what a stepdown is): it looks somewhat like this:

Last edited by OldFoo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Will do that! How bout the white/black wire end needs some kind plug so I can plug it to the converter.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yep, best way would be using a japanese plug+ground pin, alternatively you can use a euro plug and connect the PSU to ground using the screw terminal on the PSU. Most stepdowns available in europe accept a euro plug.