Should I buy this Cab?

Frequently Asked Questions Technical Database
OldFoo

Should I buy this Cab?

Post by OldFoo »

I'm ready to take the plunge and buy my first Naomi Uni Cab! :smt004

The one I have my eye on seems to be in pretty good physical condition but it's what's inside that concerns me. Where the Board and Cart should be is a suspicious metal box. The cab is running Tekken 5, which was never released on Naomi. Does anyone know what may be going on here?

:smt017

Pic:

http://www.alpha-electronic.de/Gallery/ ... offen.html

I appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That is the motherboard running Tekken 5, a Namco System 256.

This cab type is not only used for running Naomi games, but other games (and platforms) as well. Yours is running a different system than Naomi.

Oh, if you want to get rid of the Tekken 5 board and game, I would be interested. PM me if you do. (partial) trade with a Sega Naomi motherboard is an option as well.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks Cageman!

Do you know what other JVS motherboards / systems are supported in these cabs? (and a good place to look in the EU?)

I am a bit more familiar with JAMMA But as these cabs have 31khz monitors so I'll stick to JVS.

I'll probably be keeping the Tekken unless I can get my hands on a capcom vs snk 2 :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

one thing you will have to do with a Tekken cab before you use it for Naomi is modify the video cable, I have that cabinet, and as soon as I got it I wanted to put a Naomi in it, but picture would never sync up, tried everything, seemed Namco removed the vertical sync from the video harness and dealt with that sync via the 256 hardware, anyway to run naomi/PC/whatever will need to go back into the video cable and add vertical sync to the pinout and also add to the chassis sync plug
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ta Englishman,

That info will definitely come in handy.

I'll more than likely be back here for some insights should I do the conversion.

Cheers!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

good luck, T5 is a cool game :)