what format is the cf cards in?

Moderators: please move/split threads into here
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

DJMOJO wrote:So if I buy a cf to ide card how do I get that to connect to my dimm?

In this case you need to make a special cable.

But in the case of Chihiro and Triforce, the motherboards have a 40 pins IDE connector, so you don't need to make any hack, a cheap 3$ IDE to CF adapter will work direcktly.

There is a patched firmware for Naomi, flying around the net, is the version 4.02 and allows to boot from any CF card, cause it bypasses some "Card Specific checks"

But for Chihiro and Triforce you will need to have an Original SEGA CF CARD. :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well i have a naomi 1 and i am getting more and more intrested in this... what if i went and bought a scsi HD. i know you can get like 300 gig scsi hardrives on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-SUN-Che ... 5d30c4a5be

would that work? just plug it into the scsi cable for the GDrom drive? i understand that you would still need the firmware update.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No Not works

And is not SCSI is IDE ATA.

Only works on CF cards of 512 Mbytes.

You need to load a special image to the CF card.

The firmware for Naomi is patched, but only one part, you can use most 512Mbytes CF cards, but there are still other security mechanism in place.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

android wrote:No Not works

The firmware for Naomi is patched, but only one part, you can use most 512Mbytes CF cards, but there are still other security mechanism in place.

Since all the CF-IDE adaptor is, is just changing pins to match IDE considering CF is essentially IDE, would plugging an IDE harddisk in work?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

im understanding there is 512mb limit. its hard coded into the firmware
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS wrote:
android wrote:No Not works

Since all the CF-IDE adaptor is, is just changing pins to match IDE considering CF is essentially IDE, would plugging an IDE harddisk in work?

Only works for a specific CF card and is hardcoded into the firmware.

The firmware read the ATA-Identify structure from the CF card and compare some fiels, like Manufacturers Name and model, and also uses part of the serial number for calculate some hidden sectors.

The patched firmware 4.02 for Naomi, dissables the checking of the Manufacturers Name and Model, but still using the hidden sectors part....

So you can use any brand of 512Mbytes CF card on Naomi, but you still need to follow the required data structure on the card, including some hidden sectors and some xored data.
OldFoo

Re: SEGA CF Interface

Post by OldFoo »

android wrote:Netbooting is for lamers and for kids.

The Arcade Hardware must to be standadalone, and the Netbooting PC's must to stay away from the Arcade Stuff.

ALL the Naomi, Triforce and Chihiro games can load from CF card.

I prefer the SEGA ORIGINAL CF INTERFACE BOXES, I LIKE THEM.

But Really you don't need to buy a Special CF Interface, a cheap 3$ CF to IDE converter is enought.

In the case of Chihiro and Triforce is direct.

See my little video of WMMT booting from CF card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMGc4etYV8

Nice of you to give me credit.. :smt015

For the record, everyone knows I knew about this since day 1. :smt007
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:

The Arcade Hardware must to be standadalone, and the Netbooting PC's must to stay away from the Arcade Stuff.

But Really you don't need to buy a Special CF Interface, a cheap 3$ CF to IDE converter is enought.

I concur, it's like 6 months or so that my Fzero cabinet runs off integrated CF... nothing new really
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can also use IDE HDD on there, especially the ones where you can change the Model name and serial to match the Sega one, then it will work.

This allows Maximum Tune 2 and Gundam Battle Operation Simulator to run, as both those games are too big for the Sega CF card.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:

Give you credit for what?

Cause you comment that on one email?

I have this working from more than 1 year ago.

But the purpose of the video was only to demonstrate that my Chihiro is booting from a Sandisk CF card, not a SEGA ORIGINAL ONE.

You have also a patched firmware for Chihiro from the 1st day?