Net Dimm Questions

Moderators: please move/split threads into here
OldFoo

Net Dimm Questions

Post by OldFoo »

I have a couple of net dim questions.

Are there any differences between 256 and 512 besides the obvious, like can the 512 do things the 256 cant? can one play games the other cant?

What bios do you need to get your net dim to work with your naomi mobo?

Is there something you need to do to your net dimm to get it to boot games from a pc?

Thanks in advanced.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I believe for Naomi games you just need one with 256mb. The 512 is mainly used for Triforce and Chihiro.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

can anyone else chime in?
OldFoo

Re: Net Dimm Questions

Post by OldFoo »

DJMOJO wrote:I have a couple of net dim questions.

Are there any differences between 256 and 512 besides the obvious, like can the 512 do things the 256 cant? can one play games the other cant?

Is there something you need to do to your net dimm to get it to boot games from a pc?

Thanks in advanced.

If you want to Netboot (i think this is what you try to ask), hardware-technically you will need:

- DIMM board with bios 3.17 (i believe it was 3.17, google this as it might be 3.02 or something. But there is a minimum bios version needed) or higher

- NET rom on your DIMM board, so you can load games from your pc. Not every DIMM board has this rom, the majority of mine don't. You can add this rom yourself at any point, there's loads of places you can order one and you can just plug it on the mainboard. Without it, no netbooting.

- the actual images of games to load

The memory of the DIMM board is not very relevant, with a naomi you can play anything with either a 512 or 256 dimm board. You need the 512 version for other systems usually like Triforce or Chihiro etc.
OldFoo

Re: Net Dimm Questions

Post by OldFoo »

Jiggymf wrote:
DJMOJO wrote:I have a couple of net dim questions.

Thanks in advanced.

If you want to Netboot (I think this is what you try to ask), hardware-technically you will need:

- DIMM board with bios 3.17 (I believe it was 3.17, google this as it might be 3.02 or something. But there is a minimum bios version needed) or higher

- NET rom on your DIMM board, so you can load games from your pc. Not every DIMM board has this rom, the majority of mine don't. You can add this rom yourself at any point, there's loads of places you can order one and you can just plug it on the mainboard. Without it, no netbooting.

- the actual images of games to load

The memory of the DIMM board is not very relevant, with a naomi you can play anything with either a 512 or 256 dimm board. You need the 512 version for other systems usually like Triforce or Chihiro etc.

To add to this post, the DIMM board bios can be 3.03. For the Naomi 256MB works for most games, and you must use a single stick of 512MB for any other systems. The BIOS on the Naomi 1 must atleast be version "E". This will load games from the network but you cannot edit the network settings on the Dimm board, for that you either need a higher bios revision or a Triforce/Chihiro.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thank you both, that was the information i was looking for!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

where can i get a netboot security chip for my 512 MB net dimm? and do i need a a diffrent EP rom to get this to work with my naomi 2?

Thanks again guys
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

DJMOJO wrote:where can I get a netboot security chip for my 512 MB net dimm? and do I need a a diffrent EP rom to get this to work with my naomi 2?

Thanks again guys

For the chip, google is your friend.

As for the ROM, you might be able to use the one you have now, just try it. If it doesn't work, then you'll need higher.