What resolution do these games run in?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

What resolution do these games run in?

Post by OldFoo »

Is there a database listing what resolution different NAOMI games output?

I am particularly curious about the following games:

Crazy Taxi

Power Stone

Power Stone 2

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper

Also, do all Dreamcast versions of NAOMI games run in the same resolution as the originals?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Arcade RGB is a different resolution than standard TV resolution. If you look at it that way, no. They do not output the same resolution. But the Dreamcast can output some games in hi-res if you use the VGA ouput adapter.

The games you mentioned can be output in both Naomi resolutions lo-res (15k/standard res) and hi-res (31k/VGA 640x480).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What's the pixel count for the lo-res Naomi mode?

Also, how can Street Fighter Alpha 3 output to 640x480 if it's a port of a 384x224 CPS2 game? As far as I know, the sprites are specifically drawn for low resolution.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Low-res is 320x200. Actually, there is no SF Alpha on the Naomi. If you are referring to the Dreamcast, It will either scale it to 640x480 (which looks like crap) or run in CGA mode (320x200--I'm not sure about this; never tried).

If I'm not mistaken, 384x224 is a curious resolution used by CPS2 hardware/games. This causes issues for ports since TV and VGA resolutions can't display this without some fidgeting. This is not a proglem on Naomi since games developed for the system uses the 2 only available resolutions available (all original, no 'ports'). SF3 Zero, the only available Naomi SF game, is made in low-res and that's the resolution it looks best. But if you have a monitor only capable of VGA, then the output can be scaled to hi-res, as to be compatible.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Very informative, thank you. :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Joshua, you is wrong..

Low res is 640x480 interlaced (with overscan) 15.75K, High Res is 640x480P (Progressive) 31.56K

it explains why the low res is as good as it can be, but you get the flicker, I'd always go for the progressive 60FPS display.

Some people can notice the flicker more than others, some people can't tell the differences from 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If you read anywhere, standard arcade monitors use CGA resolution, which is not 640x480, progressive or not. (I think progressive is {320 doubled} 640x200, which is said to be EGA) This excerpt is from a webpage on monitor resolutions:

In 1981, IBM introduced the Color Graphics Adapter (CGA). This display system was capable of rendering four colors, and had a maximum resolution of 320 pixels horizontally by 200 pixels vertically.
(More colors added later)

Webpage

PC Guide (mentions EGA)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Standard Resolution is not limited to 320x200, also EGA that arcade games use is of a different spec to what PC's used.

CGA and EGA resolutions specs that were laid out for PC's arent followed by the video games industry.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Isn't it strange that they name a standard like CGA, but not follow it? :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

CGA, like VGA had so many different revisions.

Most monitors where CGA compatiable..

Remember CGA only had 4 colours!

So Naomi at Low Res is 640x480 @ 30hz (Interlaced with overscan), nothing to-do with CGA.. You should be able to spot the flicker!

Also the STV had 2 modes, 320x240 @ 60hz (progressive), and also a High res mode (which is like the Naomi low res mode), 640x480 @ 30hz (for example checkout the logo when Radiant Silvergun boots up).

it is true some old arcade monitors can not handle Naomi or STV when they do the special overscan interlaced mode, but anything made from mid 80's onward can.