SEGA MODEL 3 TWIN RACING CABINETS - XMAS ARRIVES EARLY

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

SEGA MODEL 3 TWIN RACING CABINETS - XMAS ARRIVES EARLY

Post by OldFoo »

Had a good day/week... :smt006

A Daytona USA 2 finally showed up within a resonable distance from my house last week on PeePay. About 3 hours away. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0198893918

Wanted to make sure machine was A OK so I fired off a couple questions. :smt067

I told the seller how to check if BOTE or D2USAPE and he came back with BOTE :smt011

I also asked seller to make sure MPEG2 Board was working by running the sound tests. He said MPEG2 OK :)

I also asked seller to make sure all of the other tests worked in test and service menu. He said all OK :)

I did not win the machine becasue I had a hockey game about the same time the auction ended and made it back 15 min's after the auction ended so I could not place my last minute bid. I thought I would make it back in time but missed by 15 mins. I was in dismay becuase these do not show up local that often and it costs about $500 USD to ship. :smt090

Final bid was $1125. Great deal if it was as good as it was advertised to be. :smt023

Here was the machine (Notice goldgoal not the winner) :smt011

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0198893918

The buyer backed out and the seller contacted me so I said I would take it for the $1125 winning bid + $175 to deliver to my house. $1300 Total. We agreed. :smt014

Well the machine shows up today, we unload it from the truck, roll it into my garage and plug it in for a quick chekout. :smt024

1st power up and it boots up and goes to main screen but the start button and the test and service buttons do nothing. Figured something got jiggled loose during transport. So check all the connections and reboot. :smt102

2nd power up and boots to init screen. and Hangs. :smt102

3rd power up and boots to black screen. and hangs. :smt102

4th, 5th, 6th,... power up and boots to black screen. and hangs. :smt100

Were all sitting around scratching our heads. :smt017

No keys to get to main board. :smt011

No were all wondering 'what now'. :smt013

I really wanted the game and the deal to work out but little that I could do w/o the keys to get under the seat. :smt017

So I held the test and service buttons simultaneouly and cycled power and the machine came up. Not sure if this is valid reset but it worked. Got to main screen and was able to start game. Also was alble to get into test and service menu. :smt045

Noticed some 'glitches' on the main screen and thought the monitor was flakey so I wanted to run through serivce test. :smt102

Went into service menu and ran all the test. Everthing checked out except the Video Board RAM test. :smt011

Video Board Ram Test - Test Failed - Texture Mapping :smt012

IC86, IC93, IC96, IC104

IC103, IC102, IC101, IC100

I figured this was the explanation of the glithces in the display. Better this than the monitor I guess. :smt013

So we sat there for a couple minutes and I felt bad that the guy drove 3 hours to drop it off so he offered to take $150 off. :smt120

Thoght about it and said OK. (figured I could get it going with my spares) :smt115

Ran out of time. Turned it off. Had to take my daughter to her figure skating classes and then off to church. :smt061

Got back from church and while my wife was cooking dinner I figured I would go poke around some more. :smt069

First I was kinda thinking 'poop' I gotta fix that stack by swapping out boards with my spares. :smt119

WELL TO MY SURPRISE SOMETHING LOOKED FUNKY. NO FANTASY TRACK. HAD THE MIX/COMPETION TRACK AND THE HORNET CAR. :smt023

Booted again and let it sit in advertise mode and you guessed it, sure enough 'THE HEAT IS BACK' 'DAYTONA 2 USA POWER EDITION.' :smt026

So I'm just sitting there smiling. Got a little work to do but now i've got two functional matching SEGA MODEL 3 Touring Cabinets and rom boards for...

2 x DAYTONA USA 2 Battle on the edge

2 x DAYTONA USA 2 Power Edition

2 x SEGA RALLY 2

2 x SCUD RACE/SUPER GT

2 x Dirt Devils

2 x LEMANS 24hr

1 x Emergency Call ambulance (need one more of these)

I think I have 4 complete working Model 3 STEP 2.0 and 4 complete Model 3 Steps 1.5 stacks

My 3 year project is now almost complete :smt033

Many thanks to geezer over the years for the game compatablity lists and the technical direction. :smt023

SEGA MODEL 3 TWIN RACING CABINETS - XMAS ARRIVES EARLY :smt111

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This rocks dude, I am happy for you.

Daytona 2 PE is probably the best arcade racer ever. Wish i had one.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Great score, Bob. I wish I would have seen that auction!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks Gilles, Sam,

Sam, there was another on PeePay in Tennesse.

He had it up for $1500 and auction ended w/ no bidders

The seller told me this was a Power Edition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0001280149

Not sure how far you are willing to drive or if you wanted to pay the shipping. I paid $1500 for my 1st one. Had to pick it up about 3 hours away. Took a whole day by the time all was said and done

Also, I put another $1000 or so into it over the years

Refurb - About $200 in parts (Marine Carpet, Stainless HW)

New Ketz Shifter - $175

Region code change - ???

New board stack when my video when flaky - $400

That video board going flaky casued me to learn much more than I needed and when I found out I could run all of those games I've been on a mission for about 3 years to get them all.

Now just need one more ECA masked ROM set and ROM board and I'm done. :D

I also have a APC Yellow/Black Cloth adustable professional racing seat for my first one

(Still need to intall this but trying to figure out how I will maintian rear sound)

http://cruizinconceptswholesale.com/pro ... ATS&cat=83

NE-Way. This hobby is a BLAST
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the info Bob, but it's too far of a drive for me and shipping will be too expensive. Enjoy your new toy!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Congrats Bob.. :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Congrats Bob.. :)

Thanks Geezer!!!

And thanks again for the support with the M3 stuff over the years. :smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Sweet looking cab Bob.

I tell you in Australia a sega twin daytona usa cab fetches $4000.

I am also working on a sega daytona model 2 stack.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

staceykollie wrote:Sweet looking cab Bob.

I tell you in Australia a sega twin daytona usa cab fetches $4000.

I am also working on a sega daytona model 2 stack.

Thanks.

The one in the auction is in the queue for restoration. I will easily have $2k into it when I am done. But you wont find a pair that look like mine for $4k. Acutually you won't find a pair that look like mine except maybe in Geezers workshop.

Here is the one I restrored about two years ago

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

Complete Teardown. Everything got the complete shine like the NAOMI in that thread.

New Ketz Shifter

New Floorboard with custom marine grade black carpet.

All new stainless hardware.

Still too install...

Have - Custom APC Formula One Race Style Seat (Yellow/Black)

Thanks

Bob Presutti