Naomi > Dreamcast

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Naomi > Dreamcast

Post by OldFoo »

Searchwords "Naomi" and "Dreamcast" didn't do much good so I'm not sure if this is a worn topic around here, but still got to ask this.

What kind of differences are there in the audio and visual departments when comparing Naomi originals to their Dreamcast ports? Are there perfect ports or are there some really poor conversions? Shmups, 2D fighters, Sports games?

How about Virtua Fighter 4, has it been downgraded for the PlayStation 2 or is it a perfect port?
OldFoo

Re: Naomi > Dreamcast

Post by OldFoo »

finngamer wrote:How about Virtua Fighter 4, has it been downgraded for the PlayStation 2 or is it a perfect port?

No way a 15khz game machine can have a perfect port of a 31khz game :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Dreamcast hardware specs are half that of the Naomi (in terms of memory at least). This limited how much of a conversion was able to maintain of the original. The games that converted best were 2d games since not so much memory is required.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

There are no poor Naomi to DC ports, regardless of smaller amount of texture memory. The are all 99% to 100% perfect IMHO.

Naomi to PS2 ports on the other hand, are definately subpar, mostly due to what footix mentioned, downsampling 31khz to 15khz interlaced.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Having both owned either Naomi Or DC versions of every fighter and shmup. I think I can comment accordingly.

The differences are very small. Minor things missing like Birds flying in Border Down DC ports opening are a oversight.

The Character Roster shapes up differently on the DC MVC2 then the Naomi version.

Gameplay wise they are about identical. I have tried Dreamcast in Naomi VGA cabinet and pretty much every game is spot on.

So much so that I sold pretty much all my Naomi games and play the Dreamcast ports.

The Dreamcast definately got the most out of its hardware in the tiny white box.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Audio on Naomi is loaded into RAM, as the Naomi doesn't stream audio direct from the GD unlike the DC
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've heard a big difference in sound quality with zero gunner 2 running on a jap dc in a naomi cab compared to the same game running on naomi in the same cab.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I don't know, I remembered Crazy Taxi was a little wierd in the DC port from the Naomi. It's been a while though, so I forget exactly what it was.