Vertical Games On Horizontal Monitor

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Vertical Games On Horizontal Monitor

Post by OldFoo »

I had picked up the following games with the intention of getting a 3rd Universal for Shumps. :)

Ikaruga

Radilgy

TriZeal

My 3rd cabinet arrived and was not in the condition I expected

:smt010

Ended up selling it to bower

(took about a $400 loss but at least cabinet went to a good home.)

I was just about to give up on the vertical SHUMPS and put the up on the auction block but after poking around in my game room tonight I had a thought. :smt115

I had a spare 2 player 3 button naomi panel and a harness I was planning on selling but then the idea hit me. Just rotate the joysticks and play the game horizontally. :smt082

I reworked the Control Panel I have and now can play the three SHUMPS I have on a horizontal monitor. :smt023

Thought this was a unique idea but did a search and noticed RGP (Pete) mentioned it the following thread...

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476

Long story shot is I now have a dedicated control panel to swap out to play vertical SHUMPS in a horizontal cabinet. :smt068

Once you get past the splash screen they play just fine IMHO. :smt067 :smt072

I did not notice them much different than Border Down and Chaos Field.

Sure is alot easier that tating a monitor back and forth. :smt118

And due to my space constaints I am dead set one staying with two cabinets now that I can play the vertical games.

Just a simple control panel swap and all set to play some vertical SHUMPS. :D

Definitely worth highlighting. :smt023

Of course it sure would be nice to have a dedicated cab with a tated monitor for vertical SHUMPS but this is definitely the next best thing. :smt020

What other Vertical Shumps Are worth getting?

SHIKIGAMI no SHIRO II?

UNDER DEFERT?

PSYVARIAR2?

LMK

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Re: Vertical Games On Horizontal Monitor

Post by OldFoo »

SkiDog wrote:I had picked up the following games with the intention of getting a 3rd Universal for Shumps. :)

Ikaruga

Radilgy

TriZeal

My 3rd cabinet arrived and was not in the condition I expected

:smt010

Ended up selling it to bower

(took about a $400 loss but at least cabinet went to a good home.)

I was just about to give up on the vertical SHUMPS and put the up on the auction block but after poking around in my game room tonight I had a thought. :smt115

I had a spare 2 player 3 button naomi panel and a harness I was planning on selling but then the idea hit me. Just rotate the joysticks and play the game horizontally. :smt082

I reworked the Control Panel I have and now can play the three SHUMPS I have on a horizontal monitor. :smt023

Thought this was a unique idea but did a search and noticed RGP (Pete) mentioned it the following thread...

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476

Long story shot is I now have a dedicated control panel to swap out to play vertical SHUMPS in a horizontal cabinet. :smt068

And due to my space constaints I am dead set one staying with two cabinets now that I can play the vertical games.

Just a simple control panel swap and all set to play some vertical SHUMPS. :D

Definitely worth highlighting. :smt023

Of course it sure would be nice to have a dedicated cab with a tated monitor for vertical SHUMPS but this is definitely the next best thing. :smt020

What other Vertical Shumps Are worth getting?

SHIKIGAMI no SHIRO II?

UNDER DEFERT?

PSYVARIAR2?

LMK

Thanks

Bob Presutti

Bob,

I'm having difficulty visualizing what you're describing.

Do you have a picture?

Thanks,

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No Picture.

Even if I had one it would still just look like a 2 player 3 button digital control panel

Just rotate the joysticks and play the game horizontally.

(4 screw per joystick then rotate 90 degrees or just move the wires 90 degrees)

If you do not mod the panel everything is off by 90 degrees

up=left

left=down

down=right

right=up

Impossible to play like this but with a simple mod the joysticks make everything move in the proper direction

I gave Mick similar instuctions for modding a analog panel to play Monkey Ball.

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Under Defeat is by far my fav Naomi Shmup!!

Interesting idea....but id rather just tate the cab..that said Uni monitors are heavier than anything else ive ever lifted :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

N80G80 wrote:Under Defeat is by far my fav Naomi Shmup!!

Interesting idea....but ID rather just tate the cab..that said Uni monitors are heavier than anything else ive ever lifted :)

Hi Justin.

I had my monitor tated for a while but with just 3 Vertical Games it was not practical for me to keep a dedicated cab for vertical shooters.

Although that was my original intent.

2 linked horizontal cabs and one vertical for SHUMPS.

After much time has gone by not many games worth linking (IMHO) to tie up two cabinets and I only have three vertical SHUMPs so the panel made the most sense to me.

Because as you mentioned tating these back and forth is a pain.

It's either gotta be dedicated or the CP mod.

Under Defeat is next on my list.

Wish I bought it from Sam when I had the chance.

What is Under Defeat going for these days?

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

SkiDog wrote:
N80G80 wrote:Under Defeat is by far my fav Naomi Shmup!!

Interesting idea....but ID rather just tate the cab..that said Uni monitors are heavier than anything else ive ever lifted :)

Hi Justin.

I had my monitor tated for a while but with just 3 Vertical Games it was not practical for me to keep a dedicated cab for vertical shooters.

Although that was my original intent.

2 linked horizontal cabs and one vertical for SHUMPS.

After much time has gone by not many games worth linking (IMHO) to tie up two cabinets and I only have three vertical SHUMPs so the panel made the most sense to me.

Because as you mentioned tating these back and forth is a pain.

It's either gotta be dedicated or the CP mod.

Under Defeat is next on my list.

Wish I bought it from Sam when I had the chance.

What is Under Defeat going for these days?

Thanks

Bob Presutti

So, if you adjust the cp, doesn't the monitor need to be rotated?

Wouldn't the game be playing on it's side?

(That's the part I'm not getting.)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

He rotated the joystick, instead of the monitor. So the game itself is horizontal, but the directions on the joystick correspond to the correct directions of the game after he rotated the stick :P
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Borman wrote:He rotated the joystick, instead of the monitor. So the game itself is horizontal, but the directions on the joystick correspond to the correct directions of the game after he rotated the stick :P

LOL!

Okay, so it's now a horizontal shooter. Gotcha.

Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Orrimarrko wrote:
Borman wrote:He rotated the joystick, instead of the monitor. So the game itself is horizontal, but the directions on the joystick correspond to the correct directions of the game after he rotated the stick :P

LOL!

Okay, so it's now a horizontal shooter. Gotcha.

Thanks!

Exactaly :D

I have one control panel for...

Ikaruga

Radilgy

TriZeal

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nah, not an option for me. They're designed to be vertical. What's the point in playing the games the way they were not meant to be? I mean, if you just want to play the game for playing sake, a Dreamcast port vertically is really more original than playing a Naomi version horizontally.

Under Defeat even has the graphical style going against this, the semi-tilted camera. Doesn't look right horizontally.