Did arcades ever bother to clean inside the cab?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Did arcades ever bother to clean inside the cab?

Post by OldFoo »

Here's a link to a pic of a Naomi pcb I got a week or two ago, it was inside a Virtua Tennis conversion cab (RIP MK2), the air intake was completely clogged, the fan was pretty much clogged, the CPU heatsink/fan was completely clogged, hell, even the small air holes on each side of the Virtua Tennis cart were completely clogged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8703176@N03/2292297922/

The other Naomi pcb I got a few months back was also pretty clogged up, though not as bad as the one in the pic. I usually tear into any new cab I get and give it a thorough cleaning.

Hal in Arkansas
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Do they care? Probably not. Arcades generally have many games in their collection and cleaning them all would be too much work in their opinion. Also, most arcade machines are not owned by the vendor, but rented or leased by an arcade machine supplier. So, the mentality of 'it's not my equipment, why should I care?' comes into play. If the game goes kaput, they call the supplier and they fix/replace the game. Notice that, among all of this, cleaning is not at the top of the list. Arcade games are lucky to be vacuumed should they be returned to the supplier. :smt011

I really feel bad about these machines. :smt010
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Most cabs go uncleaned when they're in an arcade unless they are being fixed. Look at how many people clean the inside of the computer. Unless it's a flashy case or get a lot of attention, it probably won't get done.