Newbie just got a Virtua tennis cabinet

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Newbie just got a Virtua tennis cabinet

Post by OldFoo »

Hey everyone :smt006

I've come for some help. I just bought a Virtua Tennis cabinet from an auction for 200 bucks. But the problem is I don't know much about the Naomi system. I;m more of a MVS and Hyper neo 64 candy cab person. But now I have this monster in my theatre room and I just needed some help to figure out what some of this stuff is.

First question, Would it be better if I gutted and made this a jamma cabinet and I just buy an naomi>jamma adapter for it?

Also the control panel, Can it be switched out with the astro city panels from the candy cabinets?

Here are some pics....

What parts are these?

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome to the forum and the world of Naomi, I have the same cabinets, it appears complete apart from the DIMM board that sits on top of the NAOMI mainboard, then the cable from the GD ROM drive plugs into that, does the GD ROM have a disc in it? The actual system is JVS and at the control panel end, you can easily switch out panels to different ones, I have a 2 Player 6 Button Blast City style panel in mine as that then works with any game I put into the cabinet, if you need any help with cab just drop me a line, mine came from Super Auctions as well :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well I do know the dimm board is missing. So your saying it's ready for a 6button panel?

No it didn't come with any games
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well the VT Control panel is made for 2 buttons, but you could cut the extra holes or just purcase a new 6 button panel, the JVS harness has all the wiring already in place for 6 buttons per player and more! you will see in the control panel box, 1 Large White plug (which is connected to Player 1 already? then a red one the same size connected to player 2, then you have 2 smaller red/white ones and a yellow one, the yellow one has the extra buttons needed for fighters (I can give you the schematics on which pin is which if that helps)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thats awesome...To bad I can't open the control panel right now. The arcade didn't come with any keys :smt012

Do you know how to degauss the monitor..oh and also how do I know if it's a medium resolution monitor?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

you can probably get it open with a flat head screwdriver and just turn the locks to pry it open, I did that with mine, or a drill to drill out the locks

can you get the coin door open, if so there should be a remote board in there for the monitor to degauss it, 3rd button from left, and the monitor Should be a WG D9200 Tri Res monitor, and should be set to VGA, check the settings on the Noami mainboard on the dipsettings.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well the flat head trick worked on the locks hehe

But I'm noticing there is no button for degaussing :smt012
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well on mine the remote board for the monitor was in the coin door at the top, it could well be within the monitor metal backing? or hanging down by the mainboards? Your best bet is get the metal shroud off the monitor part, that way you will be able to determine the monitor and trace the cable for the remote board
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

200 bucks for all these is a steal
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah it certainly is, those cabinets at auctions tend to get overlooked, I managed to pick up a pair of cabinets for $50 each :)