Namco Ridge Racer sit down cab repairs

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Namco Ridge Racer sit down cab repairs

Post by OldFoo »

I am a new member, but as I have very little to say on Naomi at present due to the fact I don't have a complete set, I am left to post on something I am proudly working on at present.

The Hantarex Polo monitor chassis is giving cause for concern and needs repair. The gear lever was also snapped off and needs replaced. Other than that I am almost finished working on this unit. A few electrical repairs on minor components such as top light & 1 speaker needs replaced.

Big ol' beefy System 22 motherboard

The motherboards out and cleaned

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

whats the problem with the chassis?

the gear stick is the hi/low type no?if so i have a brand new one that i can sell
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

grantspain wrote:whats the problem with the chassis?

the gear stick is the Hi/low type no?if so I have a brand new one that I can sell

I've handed the chassis over to someone I know who is good with monitors. There was a short on the board, a pile of dry solder joints, several burnt out components. We shall see. As it's a 33" chassis it's harder to obtain. I know where to locate one, but the seller wants to also sell it with the monitor and that would mean paying more than I really wanted too.

No, the gear lever is a 6 gear assembly from Happ Controls. Neither Happ nor Brent Leisure have them in stock (long gone).

A member on another forum is an engineer and has offered to repair the lever for me. I am assume a welding job.

This is the gear assembly. Note the damaged metal lever sticking out the top.

Thanks for the offer ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

very nice cab! I have got the same machine myself.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Berty wrote:very nice cab! I have got the same machine myself.

Thank you! Could you do me a favor and post an image of the gear lever? I only ask because I have to repair it (replace it) and would like to keep it as genuine as possible. I have struggled to find a decent enough image of it.

Shame it is so old and we couldn't network a challenge match ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I will grab it out of storage in about two weeks. I can post a ton of images then. Plus i also have a spare gearbox :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Excellent! There isn't much wrong with the assembly actually, it's just that the actual gear lever snapped off. Looks like someone might have dropped something heavy onto it as the stick literally sheered off.

I'd welcome the images. Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Parris wrote:I know where to locate one, but the seller wants to also sell it with the monitor and that would mean paying more than I really wanted too.

Judging by the first picture, it has quiet some burns. Maybe that wouldnt be a bad idea to change the monitor too.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I don't want to invest in purchasing a 33" screen & chassis until I establish for certain that I can get the rest of it up & running. It'll do for now.

From nothing on the screen last weekend, this is where I am currently at:

A giant leap forward!

Plus I really needed to clean the cab, so it's now looking a lot better and no longer smelling so badly:

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

How did you go with your RR cab?