Question for all of you who own Naomi setups at home...

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Question for all of you who own Naomi setups at home...

Post by OldFoo »

Okay, so there are obviously many games that are simply played by swapping the cart out (or disc) and using the regular control panel.

Plenty of titles to choose from.

Then there are those that require more than three buttons (or four.)

For those games, how do most of you deal with that? Do you have a separate control panel that you swap in when playing games that require more buttons? (Or are there no games that require more than four buttons?)

Along those lines, is there a special "kick" harness that is required for those games that require more than four buttons (similar to a Capcom CPS2 game?)

Next...

For those games that require special controllers, light guns, driving wheels, etc., how do you deal with those?

Or is that not possible?

Would it make sense to say that the optimal situation would be to have three machines:

1. Uni cab to be used for "regular" game play - fighting games, shooters, etc. Control panel swaps for games that need it (Monkey Ball, Baseball, etc.).

2. Light gun cabinet for use with light gun games; assuming that they can be swapped in and out. (Don't know if the games can be swapped in or not.)

3. Driving cabinet for use with driving games. This is the one where I need the most help with - can the same upright cab be used with multiple driving games? And if so, are there any driving titles that can't be used/swapped in?

Finally, are games based for use with the Chihiro system useable on the same types of cabinets? I know that the system is different, but can the same cabs be used (for light gun games, etc.)

Sorry for all of the questions, but I know you guys know your shit.

Thanks again,

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

For those games, how do most of you deal with that? Do you have a separate control panel that you swap in when playing games that require more buttons? (Or are there no games that require more than four buttons?)

Simply get a 2*6 buttons panel that way you re ready. Just connect the extra loom and you re all set.

Would it make sense to say that the optimal situation would be to have three machines:

Indeed.

2. Light gun cabinet for use with light gun games; assuming that they can be swapped in and out. (Don't know if the games can be swapped in or not.)

Most of them can be swapped (Hotd2, Motk, Cm, Dc Ox, Lupin) with no hardware modification.

3. Driving cabinet for use with driving games. This is the one where I need the most help with - can the same upright cab be used with multiple driving games? And if so, are there any driving titles that can't be used/swapped in?

Yes you can swap most of them. Some will need some rewiring for special buttons, depends of the cab & game you re using. 18 wheeler & King of route 66 are a bit special and wont let you play the other games.

Finally, are games based for use with the Chihiro system useable on the same types of cabinets? I know that the system is different, but can the same cabs be used (for light gun games, etc.)

I am using chihiro and Outrun 2 in my Jambo/id cab without any problem. You may need to rewire a button in other cabs for the "view button" if there is none in your driving cab but it would work even without it.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Gilles54 wrote:

Simply get a 2*6 buttons panel that way you re ready. Just connect the extra loom and you re all set.

Indeed.

Most of them can be swapped (Hotd2, Motk, Cm, Dc Ox, Lupin) with no hardware modification.

Yes you can swap most of them. Some will need some rewiring for special buttons, depends of the cab & game you re using. 18 wheeler & King of route 66 are a bit special and wont let you play the other games.

I am using chihiro and Outrun 2 in my Jambo/ID cab without any problem. You may need to rewire a button in other cabs for the "view button" if there is none in your driving cab but it would work even without it.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate the answers and info.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a great start.

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Gilles54 wrote:

Indeed.

Well, this is only true if you consider rotating a monitor along the same lines as swapping a control panel.

If you like vertical shmups, you'd really need a fourth machine. The rotating is such a pain in the ass.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

finngamer wrote:
Gilles54 wrote:

Indeed.

Well, this is only true if you consider rotating a monitor along the same lines as swapping a control panel.

If you like vertical shmups, you'd really need a fourth machine. The rotating is such a pain in the ass.

Another solution for running vertical SHUMPS in horizontal cabinet.

This is what I do instead of a dedicated machine or tating monitors

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

Bob Presutti