Triforce question

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Triforce question

Post by OldFoo »

What would be needed to run a Triforce system?

I'm particularly interested in the Virtua Striker 4 game.

I saw Andy's video playing it, and it just looks great!

Is this a system that could be swapped into the cab, using the same wiring, etc?

Thanks,

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It would fit into a Naomi Universal cabinet. It uses the same wiring, power block & GDrom system. I've got one, but sadly no software for it at present. Plus I am missing the GDrom power cable :-( You and I are both looking for the same software title, but sadly my TriForce is EXPORT bios and finding Export titles is proving difficult.

Seen using the same wiring as a Naomi 1 mobo

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Parris wrote:It would fit into a Naomi Universal cabinet. It uses the same wiring, power block & GDrom system. I've got one, but sadly no software for it at present. Plus I am missing the GDrom power cable :-( You and I are both looking for the same software title, but sadly my TriForce is EXPORT bios and finding Export titles is proving difficult.

Seen using the same wiring as a Naomi 1 mobo

First of all, thank you VERY MUCH for the pcitures.

I'm an extremely visual person, so I always need to see what is that we're talking about in order for it to sink in. Thank you.

Some questions (if you don't mind):

1. Can you take an additional picture or two of the wiring (what connects to what? It looks like you have the following:

power supply (what kind - what are the specs, where does this connect to on both ends?), capcom I/O board, jvs to jamma board (with usb cable, but connecting to what?), what is that white cable coming from the top of the Triforce machine, and where does it connect to?

2. You mention a GD rom power cable. Is the GD rom separate? If so, is it in your picture (and I just don't see it?)

3. I'm trying to make a list of exactly what would be needed to play Triforce games. Please add, delete or correct any of the following:

Triforce mobo, (dimm board - does this come separately?), capcom I/O, jvs to jamma board, power supply, GD rom unit. Power cable for GD rom unit, usb cable, cables to connect I/O to mobo, (does the power supply connect to the mobo or the jvs to jamma converter?).

Here are the two parts that would be missing for me, versus your picture - video and sound.

How would I connect this to a monitor in a cabinet? (Same question for sound.)

4. You mentioned BIOS. I'm assuming there are Japanese (Export) BIOS and English BIOS (please help me here, I'm guessing.) I see the "Export" sticker on the outside of the mobo. When you say Export BIOS, you need the matching software?

Does that mean the games are in Japanese format as well as English?

Sorry, I need a little help in this section.

5. Controls! I don't see any in the pic, where would you connect the control panel?

Sorry for being such a newb.

I most certainly appreciate your willingness to help and explain.

Thanks again,

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Okay, quite a few questions there, let me see whether I can reply to any of them.

1) I am a visual person too, which is why I thought you might appreciate images. I saw your other post regarding the Naomi Universal and spotted a fellow enthusiast!

2) The Capcom I/O no longer belongs to me and I have wrapped it up to take to the new owner, so I can't currently take any further images, but I am going to be plonking the TriForce into my Naomi Universal cabinet.

i) As for the PSU. You connect the PC PSU to the Supergun (which is attached to Capcom I/O). The Capcom then distributes the reduced power supply to the arcade motherboard (whether Naomi or TriForce) via the yellow, black, red and brown cable you see with the large white plug attached.

ii) The white cable is the other end of the USB cable that attaches to the Capcom I/O and it deals with controls. On which note, the controller is not pictured as it was a pile of cr*p! This is connected to the Supergun.

iii) The GDrom is separate. Not pictured, primarily as I didn't actually have the power cable. On the top of the TriForce is a blue cartridge, with a silver panel on it. That is the DIMM, which has a cable that attaches to the GDrom (off camera). I have packed all that stuff away until the power cable arrives). The little black piece on the top of the DIMM is a security dongle, which leads me too...

iv) ...you not only need that dongle (security chip) attached for the specific games title you wish to run from GDrom, but you also need to match the region code. So, a Japanese title will run on Japanese BIOS. As far as I can tell EXPORT is European. I can't find much information on this and would like clarification too.

Try and run GDrom software without the dongle or the correct BIOS and it will come back with an error.

3) You mention that you are missing out on 2 connections, i.e. Sound & Image.

i) As I was just testing the motherboards visually I didn't connect them to an amp, but both boards have left & right RCA connections.

ii) There is also a VGA port on each of the boards. If you wish to use it on a TV you'll either need a TV that can accept the signal (mine doesn't and states it is out of range), or use a Supergun to obtain the output. As mentioned, I have the Universal cabinet and therefore I would just use VGA. The VGA, as you can see will be output to a standard PC monitor too.

I am like you, looking for information on this hardware. I've yet to confirm the GDrom functions correctly, how to change the BIOS on the motherboard and also whether I can play many titles.

Hope that helps!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Parris wrote:Okay, quite a few questions there, let me see whether I can reply to any of them.

1) I am a visual person too, which is why I thought you might appreciate images. I saw your other post regarding the Naomi Universal and spotted a fellow enthusiast!

2) The Capcom I/O no longer belongs to me and I have wrapped it up to take to the new owner, so I can't currently take any further images, but I am going to be plonking the TriForce into my Naomi Universal cabinet.

I) As for the PSU. You connect the PC PSU to the Supergun (which is attached to Capcom I/O). The Capcom then distributes the reduced power supply to the arcade motherboard (whether Naomi or TriForce) via the yellow, black, red and brown cable you see with the large white plug attached.

ii) The white cable is the other end of the USB cable that attaches to the Capcom I/O and it deals with controls. On which note, the controller is not pictured as it was a pile of cr*p! This is connected to the Supergun.

iii) The GDrom is separate. Not pictured, primarily as I didn't actually have the power cable. On the top of the TriForce is a blue cartridge, with a silver panel on it. That is the DIMM, which has a cable that attaches to the GDrom (off camera). I have packed all that stuff away until the power cable arrives). The little black piece on the top of the DIMM is a security dongle, which leads me too...

iv) ...you not only need that dongle (security chip) attached for the specific games title you wish to run from GDrom, but you also need to match the region code. So, a Japanese title will run on Japanese BIOS. As far as I can tell EXPORT is European. I can't find much information on this and would like clarification too.

Try and run GDrom software without the dongle or the correct BIOS and it will come back with an error.

3) You mention that you are missing out on 2 connections, I.e. Sound & Image.

I) As I was just testing the motherboards visually I didn't connect them to an amp, but both boards have left & right RCA connections.

ii) There is also a VGA port on each of the boards. If you wish to use it on a TV you'll either need a TV that can accept the signal (mine doesn't and states it is out of range), or use a Supergun to obtain the output. As mentioned, I have the Universal cabinet and therefore I would just use VGA. The VGA, as you can see will be output to a standard PC monitor too.

I am like you, looking for information on this hardware. I've yet to confirm the GDrom functions correctly, how to change the BIOS on the motherboard and also whether I can play many titles.

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for your time.

I'm imagining how to put this into my Jamma cabinet, which doesn't have a VGA connection (at least I don't think so), so I'm clueless there.

Also, as far as I can tell, the audio doesn't have male leads either, so I don't know how I would get the sound to work.

Ugg.

As for the BIOS part, I'll have to figure out what BIOS were made for this, and what software was made for each of the BIOS. Hopefully, that info is out there.

I still don't know how you would connect the control panel to the setup.

I wouldn't be using a supergun, so I would have to assume the connections would come from the JAMMA loom.

Can anyone confirm this last part?

Also, are there any power supply requirements/settings for the Naomi or Triforce units?

Thanks again!!

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

For Naomi BIOS information see here:

http://sega-naomi.com/bios.htm

Just decide on which games title you wish to check compatibility against, or which BIOS you would need.

Have not yet found an equivalent for the TriForce unit.

As for how to wire it up, go back to the HOME page, check RESOURCES and download the NAOMI UNIVERSAL USER manual. On pages 63 onwards are the schematic diagrams. I used them the other day for wiring up the loom for the CP. It will be the same on the TriForce I am sure of it.

PSU ratings are the same for Naomi as TriForce. The manual should detail the specs.

Parris
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

if you really want VS4 (or vs4 v2006), forget the capcom converter, as this game need a panel with analog sticks.

standard stick are ok for vs1 -> vs2002
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

luke2fr wrote:if you really want VS4 (or vs4 v2006), forget the capcom converter, as this game need a panel with analog sticks.

standard stick are ok for vs1 -> vs2002

Thanks for the tip!

So what do you do?

What is needed for this?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Also, does anyone know if...

If I bought the first version of the Triforce unit, and Virtua Striker 2002, would that machine play the Virtua Striker 4 game?

I'm wondering if I bought the kit for the 2002 version, then bought just the software for the 2006 version - would that Triforce unit play the later version game.

Anyone know?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The only person I know with the VS 2006 title has actually had it on eBay and was unable to confirm to me the BIOS version etc because it was all packaged up for transit so I can't help you with that one. There is very little TriForce information available, primarily because there appear to be fewer titles available than the Naomi system.

However Coin Express is selling the title and seem to think an older kit will accept it. http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/p ... _6888.html

Does anyone reading through this (if any) know of any similar sites for the TriForce?