Hallo - new member!

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Hallo - new member!

Post by OldFoo »

Just thought I'd drop by to say hello. In the next few days my Naomi Universal upright should be arriving, so I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for you guys. I've been reading your posts for a while (as a guest) which has been really useful in helping me take the leap and fork out for one of these... so thanks for that. Not sure my missus quite gets it, but perhaps she appreciates there's worse hobbies I could have.

I didn't want to start asking questions in my first post, but I can't help admitting I'm a bit nervous about the size and weight of this kit... particularly as I've got to get it in through the front door and upstairs. One step at a time I guess? Could be interesting. I can't quite make sense of the dimensions either - depth is nigh-on 1 metre? Is that from the tip of the control panel to the back of the main unit?

Anyway, can't wait for the thing to arrive now. Should be here soon.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

you are welcome!!!I am sure you will receive all answear to your question, we all do the same here, tring to help each others...

You are right, we all could have worse hobbies.....but this doesn't metter with Girlfriends or wifes.... :smt018 .......there is always a solution :smt021 .....

marco
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks bud, but I don't think :smt021 is the right solution. Plenty of :smt058 required from me at the moment while she's :smt011
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Lazy wrote:Thanks bud, but I don't think :smt021 is the right solution. Plenty of :smt058 required from me at the moment while she's :smt011

:smt046

Welcome to Sega-Naomi.com!

The cab is 98cm deep and 76 cm wide. It can be fully disassembled, if needed.

The manual for the universal cab is here, by the way: http://www.sega-naomi.com/resources/man ... versal.pdf
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome mate and congrats with your uni and entering the world of arcade gaming! Dismantling a uni is quite easy, Also rebuilding it :) but take pictures of every step you take if unsure. Take your time when it arrives and good luck! If unsure just drop us a line.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks guys. I saw the manual here a while back and have been flicking through it. There's not a lot of detail about the dimensions, hence my asking about it's depth. What I'm really wondering is the depth at the base of the unit... from the front of the bottom of the verticals to the back of the main unit. That looks less than the total depth, which must be from the front of the controls to the back of the main.

The biggest problem I can see at the moment is getting this 76cm width through a 74cm door frame. I'm kind of hoping, if it's held bolt upright, I can wiggle it through at an angle. I guess that means taking the control panel off first though. I don't really want to do any pulling apart the first day I get it, if I don't have to.

The other thing I hope you guys can answer - how do you go about lifting one of these? Is it safe to hold it under the control panel and lift it from there (one stair at a time)? Or would I just end up ripping the panel off?

I suppose I'm going to find out all the answers to these questions in a couple of days time. Getting very nervous now. Or is it excited? One of the two anyway.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well... what a fun couple of weeks I've had. What the heck was I thinking?! That's right... I was going to "wiggle" 18st of machine through a door frame 2cm too small!?! Then just lug it upstairs... one stair at a time.

It started a couple of Wednesdays ago with the courier arriving and me thinking: this is just not going through the front door. Only door I knew it would fit through was the sitting-room patio one. Imagine how chuffed my missus was when she came home to see this machine stood proudly in the middle of our lounge and packing materials strewn all over the place. As if that wasn't bad enough, the point at which she walked through the door, I was happily bashing away on some VF4. I casually ask: fancy a game? She grits her teeth and leaves the room. To be fair though, she's been great about having this thing stood there while I worked out what to do next. I suppose some women might get the storming hump if they'd come home to find their front room turned into an arcade / workshop. I was obviously pushing my luck so really had to get it moved sharpish.

I took the sides off first - this was my next grand plan... the thinking being that I could reduce it's width by at least 2cm by simply removing them, then it's through the door and I *only* have to get it up the stairs.

As you people probably already know, to get the sides off you need to take off the top caps (and I took off the feet). And taking the monitor cover off helps so you can see what's going on with the control panel. And that cp needs to get a bit loose just so the sides come out anyway. At that point, I'm thinking: I could take the monitor out and make it a bit lighter. After the monitor came out, taking the whole thing apart just seemed to make much more sense, not only because it'd be more portable but because every single part of this machine was absolutely filthy! I suppose after 10 years being used in public I should expect some dirt - I just wasn't expecting it to be this gross.

So, after a complete teardown, heaps of soapy scrubbing to get everything clean, then putting it all back together up here, I now have a happy Naomi stood in the corner of my office! I'm kind of blown away by it at the moment. This is all old news to you people who already have one (or more... some with many more!) but I'm quite surprised how pleased I am with it. I've put my fair share of quids into machines like these in arcades throughout my life, so having my own one is big kid dream come true. I suppose I'm most surprised how good this looks compared to my DC which is running on a 20inch SVGA CRT. I didn't think I'd be standing in front of a 29inch CRT running at the same res and it'd look this good. It probably shows, I haven't been in an arcade for a while. Although, last time I was, every machine seemed to have it's contrast set so high the image was pushed horribly out of focus. Or I might just have been drunk. It was probably both.

There's a few problems, of course, but nothing major. New fluro-tube should be here in a few days (snowy weather permitting!) and I need some better locks. I'm guessing VF4 could be a lot more fun with a block button? Why on earth would someone go to the bother of upgrading a Virtua Tennis machine with a Naomi 2 MB and VF4, but not worry about adding the 3rd buttons?! Crazy. Anyway, I need buttons.

So, in summary: no, it wouldn't fit through the door. But in retrospect, if it had, it probably wouldn't be as clean as it is now. And it /really/ needed cleaning!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:smt006 Welcome and glad your sorted now :) Well apart from the missing buttons, do you have enough holes in the panel for them?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Welcome to the hobby man, hope everything goes well. I love that feeling when you get that first arcade in your room, that sense of discovery :P. Hope everything goes well for you! I'm planning to devote plenty of time to my Sega Blast City as soon as the semester is over at college myself.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hey, yeah... missing button (holes) are blanked with gromets at the moment. Some dodgy soldering on the others. I'm hoping people here can give some advice about wire colours. Makes sense that white on each button = gnd, but I guess I'll find the 3rd button wires when I unravel the messy bundle. Hopefully this should be pretty straightforward.

It still feels a little odd to pump coins into a machine like this stood in a room in my house. These things are built for arcades and I'd be happy slotting coins into them there. So it being at home, you'd have thought it'd make sense to set it on free-play. But I feel like I get more value from each play by paying for it. It's like when you get infinite continues on a console game - I suppose you stop caring about what each play is costing you, and ultimately, you stop caring about what you're playing.

I'm getting a huge sense of discovery from this, so I'm glad you guys understand. I really love the feeling that pretty much the exact same machine could be planted just about anywhere on the planet and someone there, at some time, would have had the same fun as I'm having right now.