I fitted a Quad sync crt in to my Naomi

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

I fitted a Quad sync crt in to my Naomi

Post by OldFoo »

And I can tell you it's amazing. I posted a question a while back asking if anybody knew how to fit a "NEC XM29 plus" presentation monitor into my Uni upright. Nobody replied because it's a rather obscure question. I had been without my Naomi for a fair few months due to the sanwa 29e31s chassis going or the tube or both? Anyway, I finally got round to going for it today and fitting my NEC XM29. I will post pics in the next couple of days but for anyone who doesn't know, these monitors are capable of going right up to 1280x1024 and right down to 15khz too over a HD-15 (VGA) cable or BNC cable.

It's fitted now, it has the exact same size tube as the original monitor but I couldn't de-case it so I had to figure out a way of doing it that wasn't too technical. I have succeeded and it's really not that difficult at all, like I say, pics to follow but I'm so happy to have my Naomi back and displaying a picture BETTER than it ever has.

I picked up a couple of Street Fighter 4 Tournament sticks for the Xbox360 for 60 quid each, the red ones with the sanwa sticks and sanwa buttons and took all the innards out and placed all the wiring in the Naomi and fitted the buttons and Sticks too. I then placed my 360 in the Naomi base and have been playing Super SF4, Tekken 6, VF5 and others in HD res and then unplugging the sticks from the xbox and into a PC for MAME games at 15khz.

Everything looks unbelievable, great geometry, colour, definition, NO screen burn :) The monitor has decent speakers built in so that makes things easier and neater. It also has S-video and composite connectors in the back so I can hook up any console as long as I have the controls sorted. Does Sync on green for PS2 in RGB.

I have a Logitech wheel that I clamp on to the front of the cabinet so that takes care of the PS2 drivers like InitialD and Ethernet link up Outrun2 with the second ps2 hooked up to a Plasma screen side by side with identical Logitech Wheel set up. The wheels have dual connectors so also just swaps into PC USB so I can play Model 2 upright Daytona and Sega Rally!

Because its crt and capable of lower resolutions it is also compatible with my Namco Guncon for PS2, so I also have Virtua cop 1 and 2 plus Time crisis 2 playable off my ps2, it's basically a Naomi of all trades and It's honestly the best monitor you could get for a tri-sync and beyond set up.

And lastly, I have a Gamecube and a Logitech ff wheel for it ( I know, so many wheels, but I got it for a tenner years ago ) So I've put that in too with a copy of F-Zero GX and it works beautifully, I'm gonna get Mariokart Double Dash so I can have a cheapo version of Mariokart GP Arcade ha ha ha.

Suffice to say I've been playing all day and will be for most of tomorrow.

Peace, friends.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

any chance you can post some pics up- I'm curious (mainly for doing this - or similar to an astro) just to get ideas...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of this.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hey brother, please post up some pics, i have aquired a naomi uni with a rodotron tri-sync where the tube's got tons of burn in from its past life as a confidential mission... Please post up some pics and if you're feeling generous, maybe a log of the procedure or how-to

:smt006