wanna buy my first naomi, but i need some help =)

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

wanna buy my first naomi, but i need some help =)

Post by OldFoo »

hey guys i?m new on that website and to all that arcade stuff in general =D

anyway i decided to buy myself a sega naomi cab from e-bay, cause i found some cabs for 250-300? but there is one big letdown for myself =/

most of those cabs have sportsgames like nba, virtua tennis (wich is awesome, but i still have it for the dreamcast^^) and virtua striker ( i don?t really like soccer) and they all have some little scratches or some parts are yellow or even rusty but i think i can fix that. but there?s one naomicab wich i also would like to have wich is a crazy taxi stand up version, even though i also got the dreamcastversion of that game and this one is much more expensive, cause that guy wanna have like 1200? plus shipping =/ so first: what would you guys do? and my second question is: is it possible to convert that crazy taxi cab into a normal naomi cab with buttons and sticks instead of a steering wheel? :smt017

anyway guys, hope i get some responses from you and well,

greetings from germany, timo =)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Personally, I'd go with the joystick cab unless I was planning to buy more cabs. Judging by the gallery here, most on here would go the way of buying both types of cabs. As for the game inside it, they're not hard to swap between games of that control type. Open it up and either undo four screws and swap the cart out, or for a GD based cab remove one screw and the security chip and swap for the new game. It's a bit like buying a Dreamcast with a bundled game, if you don't like the game, switch it for one you do. The only thing I'd look for is one with a GD-ROM.

Converting a driving cab to a joystick cab is difficult, requiring parts from a joystick cab, trimming down the speaker under the panel, and doing a few things besides. Someone in the gallery posted how he did it not that long ago.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well i think that i?m gonna buy one of that virtua tennis 2 cabs wich they wanna sell^^ like you said, on that one cab you can play a lot more games than on that racing cab and it?s much more cheaper to =D anyway thanks for your reply =)
OldFoo

okay i got one =D

Post by OldFoo »

hey guys, last week i finally bought my first sega naomi cab from e-bay. it should be come tomorrow, but i noticed something today. those naomi cabinets have some of these security screws, right? but i don?t have one of those torx bits with a hole in the middle :smt012 would be thankful if any of you guys may have a tip for me to get those screws out : :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can find torx or security bit sets on ebay for cheap. :smt024
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yeah i know, but that thing is coming tomorrow, and if i buy some bits on e-bay, they would probably come next week or so^^ but i may have to take that beast apart in front of my house, because it?s kinda heavy to carry :D

that?s why i asked for another method to take that screws out^^ maybe i?m able to drill out that pin in the middle and then just use a normal torx :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The problem with that is that you will ruin the screws. But if you are truly desperate, you can cut a line through the middle of the screw and use a flat screwdriver. I don't recommend this, but you seem willing to do minor damage to the cab.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You must be mad to buy a cab and then desecrate it with a drill or saw rather than by the correct tool for the job. Any half decent hardware store will sell I multi driver with various security screw heads and Allen keys. Naomi's will fit through a standard door any are on wheels so are not that hard to move. Me and my wife have moved mine in and out when I resprayed the cab.

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

well the problem is, i already was in a hardware store, and they got tons of tools, and many kinds of torx bits but not one torx with that little hole in the middle :smt012 . that?s why i wanna throw these screws out and put in some inbus screws or something like that :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Try an automobile repair store or a small engine repair store(particularly one that has parts for mopeds). Also try dedicated tool stores if you have any nearby. I couldn't find security bits in a bigger hardware store like Lowes, but the smaller Ace Hardware had quite a lot.