Do different revisions of a game use the same security chip?

Naomi & all other arcade talk forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:I've been researching on how to copy the PIC's for a while now. I have some empty re-programmable chips to experiment with. What I need to get next is a certain type of programmer/device to grab the code as it is being used by the Naomi. Besides this, the only way would be to take a Dremmel to a perfectly working PIC. :smt018

Hmm, these PIC are security locked, so no programmer can read them, I know a guy who developed a GAL/PAL cracker on a BBC Micro, I wonder if his setup can grab the contents.

To be honest all that is on these PIC is just some text string.

Ken can reproduce some PIC's, but he is an ex-employee @ Sega, so information is still classified.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's true, you can't put the chip on a reader to get the info because of the internal security feature. However, the Naomi is able to get the information despite this fact. The device I intend to get is supposed to analyze the data mid-stream while the Naomi is accessing it to get whatever information is on the chip. I read the datasheet that comes directly from the manufacturer. They say that although the security makes it difficult to get the encoded information, it still may be possible to get the information under what they call "unusual circumstances". They say that under normal use, it cannot be read/copied, but with certain hardware it can be done. The manufacturer cannot discount hacking. :smt081
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

brumma wrote:
joshua3dg wrote:Besides this, the only way would be to take a Dremmel to a perfectly working PIC. :smt018

I think you might have trouble finding volunteers... ;)

i would give my virtua golf easily (i don't have the panel)

sports jam is a cheap game too, which could be used.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That's ok, save your chips. I gave that as an example of what not to do. :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hope you find the device code so you can read them. :smt007

Anyway the plastic cases can be re-used.

Seems like the PIC can be purchased, but didn't find where

PIC16C621A-20/P (Microchip), actually they are hard to break, so that is why Sega are not worried about replacements, but I myself would like a catalouge of chips.

Joshua PM me about this, and also I got some info about Card readers
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just wondering if there's been any progress on this...