starting with naomi

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

starting with naomi

Post by OldFoo »

Hi new here

Almost finished the dreamcast collection looking to start getting a naomi

setup

Going to start with a naomi 1 motherboard and i see it can be conected to vga which is easy not sure sure on the rest and a couple of q's

How hard is it to find the sega psu and would it be safe just to mount it on a wood (board whole setup)?

Version 1 motherboard just for carts to start with what else apart from controllers is needed if i got ahold of a sega psu and a vga screen?

Some games come with controllers but what about a six button sega controller?

If i've missed anything major feel free to say

thanks

dave
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You will need an IO board, wether it be the JVS or Jamma one as you need soemthign to convert the imput from the controllers into the format that the Naomi uses.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Apart from game that come with controllers where can you get 4/6 button controllers from?

If i had a noami 1 motherboard,io board,cart,sega psu,vga all i need would be the controller?

Thanks for your help
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It would be easier just to make one and wire it up to the jamma connector, or better yet use a super gun and its sticks, but that would be more $$$$
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Mounting on wood is safe. In fact, that's the way it's usually mounted on a sega type cabinet. :D
OldFoo

new naomi owner

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for replys

Now a naomi owner I got myself a naomi 1 motherboard now so i could conect it to a vga screen but what about sound? i see some people have amps is just for cabs or will i need one aswell?

Might be able to get a control pannel would it be ok to make a housing for it out of wood?

I need a i/o converter for the control pannel does it make much differance

what one and version i use?

i think the only other thing i need is a psu how much is a sega psu

sorry for all the questions thanks for your help
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

theres alot of info that will answer most Q's on the hardware section of the main site

http://www.sega-naomi.com/hardware.htm

but pictures speak a thousand words

Naomi setup via Capcom I/O and JAMMA Supergun

the "proper" way to power a GD setup with Sun PSU

powering Naomi 1 GD setup with a PC PSU

your going to need an I/O board whichever way you go about it, if you go for a JAMMA I/O (either Capcom or Sega) you can wire up to JAMMA standard, alternatively, you can use a NON JAMMA I/O board, but you will need to either grab the correct wiring harness (expensive) or make your own (hopefully NGT will post pics of his custom job)

you can use a PC VGA monitor for display in 31k but your going to need an amp of some sort for sound, whether that be a home stereo system or a small amp is upto you
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hi

thanks for the reply

I hoping to do without the super gun if i had the psu/mobo/i/o converter/vga/sound and control panel?

i thought a super gun was control/rgb/harness and if i was using vga/control pannel i wouldn't need it

How much does the sun psu go for?

thanks again
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

price on Sun PSU vary's

if you want to avoid the whole supergun thing, hopefully NGT will comment and show his setup