V.O.O.T Japanese BIOS Only?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

V.O.O.T Japanese BIOS Only?

Post by OldFoo »

I picked up my VOOT about a year ago.

Sorta worked on w/ US BIOS on both N1 and N2

Game would come up, your could start, and as long as you kept pressing continue game would play.

If you let it count down Continue 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Game Over game would black screen and needed to cycle power to restart.

Switched to BIOS to JPN.

Works as expected with JPN BIOS on both N1 and N2

If you let it count down Continue 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Game Over game would go back to main screen.

Kinda Strange, most games that require JPN BIOS wont't even let you start.

Long story short is I think VOOT needs JPN BIOS.

Anyone else experience this behavior w/ VOOT or any other games?

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Try it with a communication board present.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Try it with a communication board present.

Will give it a try.

Once I find my two comm boards :smt011

They are buried in pile o' stuff somewhere. :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Re: V.O.O.T Japanese BIOS Only?

Post by OldFoo »

SkiDog wrote:I picked up my VOOT about a year ago.

Sorta worked on w/ US BIOS on both N1 and N2

Game would come up, your could start, and as long as you kept pressing continue game would play.

If you let it count down Continue 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Game Over game would black screen and needed to cycle power to restart.

Switched to BIOS to JPN.

Works as expected with JPN BIOS on both N1 and N2

If you let it count down Continue 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Game Over game would go back to main screen.

Kinda Strange, most games that require JPN BIOS wont't even let you start.

Long story short is I think VOOT needs JPN BIOS.

Anyone else experience this behavior w/ VOOT or any other games?

Thanks

Bob Presutti

This is now confirmed. I borrowed a COMM Link board from Mick and same results.

With US Bios game does start. Game would come up, your could start, and as long as you kept pressing continue game would play.

Works as expected with JPN and EXP BIOS on both N1 and N2.

Again, this is kinda strange because most games that require JPN BIOS wont't even let you start. You get 'game is not comatable with MB' or some strange message like that.

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thats strange indeed :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What is the version of the US and JPN bios you are using? I would think that the same release would work in both languages. (versions are only separated by language letter ex. D or E)

Since it works on the EXP bios, does it really matter if the US version works or not?

P.S.

I think the biggest problem here is that not many people have this game to give you a real answer. :smt102
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:What is the version of the US and JPN bios you are using? I would think that the same release would work in both languages. (versions are only separated by language letter ex. D or E)

Since it works on the EXP bios, does it really matter if the US version works or not?

P.S.

I think the biggest problem here is that not many people have this game to give you a real answer. :smt102

Hi Josh,

I have several different ROM BIOS rev's (I had all my eproms sent to hobbyroms a couple months back for reprogramming)

It is not that it does not work. It is just that it behaves strange.

Kinda like the Choco Maker issue but different. WHen I see strange stuff like this it just make me want to resolve it. I really wish that when I plugged it into US BIOS it said 'incompatable' like all my other JPN games and that would be that for that. The difference in the behavior of this and my other JPN games is what has got me curious. (But I think I am done now)

Most of the JPN games simply will not boot and say this game is incompatible with main board. With US BIOS VOOT Boots and will continue as long as you keep hitting continue.

Like you mentioned....

Since it works on the EXP bios, does it really matter if the US version works or not? (Not really to me)

My plans are to play the crap out of this game for the next month or so and then possibly sell it.

I just want to make sure that when I sell it buyer is aware that they will need EXP or JPN BIOS or at least be aware of the behavior w/ US BIOS

Thanks

Bob Presutti