Dimm board removal, gd rom doesn't load, troubleshooting

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Dimm board removal, gd rom doesn't load, troubleshooting

Post by OldFoo »

How do I remove the dimm board from the naomi pcb? I mean, is it simply seated on the main pcb and can be gently pried up, or are the screws in the corners of the dimm board all the way thru the dimm pcb and into the naomi pcb? It's on a nice cabinet I can get for 450, complete but with a problem, it won't load the gd rom game (Sports Jam). It's the

larger set up, with the various power supplies and whatnot (not the capcom jamma convertor type). How should I troubleshoot this? I'm not sure I want to buy the cab if the gd-rom is bad, it's not a situation where I can really mess with the cab unless I buy it.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Undo the 4 screws & lift it off, there is also the service book for GD-Rom here:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/resource.htm

sometimes you can just take it off & put it back on & it will work.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What kind of error message are you getting? It might help pinpoint your problem.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The game doesn't give an error message at all when turned on.

It'll just sit there and not do anything. Something I noticed and now recall, on the pcb and wiring setup, there were two things that looked like coils or capacitors (or something), white in color, and I think they were clicking, loud audible clicks. Maybe they are at fault? If you unhook the gd-rom the Naomi pcb wil power up, display the Naomi screen and give error 21, if I remember correctly (I was visiting the owner of the Naomi cab, checking out his new gameroom, this was on Sunday), but that's with the power disconnected from the gd-rom. Otherwise the machine displays nothing but a blank dark screen with everything connected. He's left the machine on for a while so the battery on the dimm pcb should be charged.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

if its a black screen, check the 3 voltage lines under load, they might need upping a tad
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Mr-Megalo wrote:if its a black screen, check the 3 voltage lines under load, they might need upping a tad
Agreed. Time to bring out the ol' meter and screwdriver. Adjust the voltage screw, but watch your voltages. Better safe, then sorry. :smt075
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

it's a power issue