what type of trackball do the naomi games use? stick?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

what type of trackball do the naomi games use? stick?

Post by OldFoo »

is the trackball interchangable? say with a 2 1/4 atari setup or happ setup?

what size etc do I need?

also, the stick used in out trigger...what type of stick is it?

big question....can I find these parts used from other games (non-naomi) and interchange them?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

sega trackball are the same since the late 80's.

Sega trackballs use negative logic, Atari and Happ use postive logic I believe.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, THANKS!!! that will save me a head ache. I pm'd you the question, but just incase others want you answers to the other stuff I cut and pasted it below!

THANKS!!!!!!

The joysticks for VON, are just 8-way digital joysticks with thumb trigger and top fire button.

They are exactly the same as used on Out trigger, although with Out trigger you need a trackball and trackball I/O.

thanks for that too!!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

are sega track balls in the console department the same? Could I hack one of their trackball controllers?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This may sound a stupid question, and I have no way to test this as my naomi collection is small, but if Happ trackballs are +ve and Sega are -ve, could you not just use a simple inverter IC on the signal lines frm the trackball to make a Happ unit Sega Compatible?

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yes, a simple IC inverter would do the trick.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

how would that work? anyone know which ic inverter I would need? or how to figure it out?

thanks
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You need a simple Logic inverter IC.

This would convert the output of the trackball from +ve to -ve. I'm not sure if a NOT gate would do this (CMOS IC 4xxx series). Try asking at your local electronics shop - presume Radio Shack.

All you would do then is connect the output of the trackball to the input of the inverter, and the output of the inverter to the relavent input on the naomi I/O.

This is all basic electronic theory. On paper it should work, but I will not take any responsibility if it all goes tits-up.

Of course if it works, I'll happily take full credit!

john
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

someone told me...

I don't know anything about your trackball setup, but the hex inverter ICs are pretty simple. Wire up +5 volts to the Vcc pin, ground to the ground pin, the input you want to invert to one of the inputs, and the desired output to the corresponding output pin.

You should be able to google "inverter pinout" or something similar.

7404: Hex Inverter

7405: Hex Inverter with Open Collector Outputs

7406: Hex Inverter Buffer/Driver with 30V Open Collector Outputs

does that make sense? the hex inverters part? the other stuff is all stuff I heard from you here first. If the hex tings sound ok...which one?

I am going to try this :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have used the 7404. A hex inverter is a chip containing 6 inverters in one package. It is perfect for inverting digital signals. You don't really need the the one with the open collector, and you won't be working with 30v. I'd say, stick with the 7404.