Naomi 1 MvsC2 Cart to Naomi 1 GGXX GD-ROM

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi 1 MvsC2 Cart to Naomi 1 GGXX GD-ROM

Post by OldFoo »

hello guys, posted this originally on KC forums.

my mvsc2 is not really doing well in my arcade so i might try replacing it with GGXX (GGXX:Slash or Melty Blood:AC in the future).

nice people from KC told me that i need the following:

separate psu

dimm board

gd-rom

compatible bios

my questions are:

where do i get this compatible bios?

how do i install it?

what type of psu is needed here?

any additional wirings needed?

cheers!

rico
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The description from KC forums is pretty standard. The question would be, what type of psu and I/O are you using now? No need to change it if you already have it. To use a Gd-rom/Dimm setup, you need bios ver. EPR - 21576F or later. You have the choice of downloading the bios image file from the Sega-Naomi main website and burning it yourself (with the correct hardware), or you can ask AndyGeezer to burn one for you. The bios is a chip with the EPR-xxxx version number on it, just underneath where you normally put the rom carts. :smt024
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:The description from KC forums is pretty standard. The question would be, what type of psu and I/O are you using now? No need to change it if you already have it. To use a Gd-rom/Dimm setup, you need bios ver. EPR - 21576F or later. You have the choice of downloading the bios image file from the Sega-Naomi main website and burning it yourself (with the correct hardware), or you can ask AndyGeezer to burn one for you. The bios is a chip with the EPR-xxxx version number on it, just underneath where you normally put the rom carts. :smt024

thanks joshua3dg!

here is the pic of my set-up

how do i intall this bios to my naomi after i burned one?

what do you mean burning with the correct hardware?

sorry for the nood questions!

cheers!

rico
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If your bios version is older than previously mentioned, changing the bios chip is a simple as removing it and replacing it with the new one. It lifts out of place.

ROMS require programming by specialized hardware called EPROM programmers, so you should check the version you have before deciding on going with this step.

I see you have a Capcom I/O. That's probably why it was suggested that you get another PSU. That I/O will not power the GD-ROM. Technically you can tap into the arcade psu that you already have and power it directly. But you need the right type of wiring. Unfortunately, for the setup you have, the conversion will not be so easy.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:Unfortunately, for the setup you have, the conversion will not be so easy.

i was afraid your going to say that. :smt009

anyways were gonna try this out and see what happens.

cheers!

rico