Triforce Error 21 PROBLEM SOLVED - THANKS ANDY!! 6/15

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Triforce Error 21 PROBLEM SOLVED - THANKS ANDY!! 6/15

Post by OldFoo »

Several months ago, I hooked up my Triforce mobo (the latter unit with the internal Dimm board, Japan unit) to my JAMMA cabinet.

Worked fine eventually, after some trial and error.

The game, Virtua Striker 2002 worked fine, I played it several times.

I also played the baseball game (can't pronouce or spell the name, so bear with me), it also worked fine.

It's been on the shelf until this weekend, when I connected the mobo, etc to my Naomi Uni cab for the first time.

The Triforce screen showed up fine, the loading came and went, and then I got "Error 21, This game is not acceptable by main board."

So, I shut it down, took out the disc, made sure it was clean, took out the key chip, re-inserted it; put the disc back in, etc. Made sure the connections were good - you name it.

Powered back up - again, Triforce main screen came on fine. I went to the Test mode, and checked the Ram, the Media board, everything - inputs, controls - everything fine.

Exited the Test mode, and waited while the game loaded...

Yep, Error 21 again.

Switched to the baseball game, and repeated the process.

Yep, Error 21 again.

My dipswitch settings are all in the "OFF" position, except for the last one, which is on, for 31K monitor.

Since both games worked less than 6 months or so ago, I can't imagine that there is something wrong with them or the unit (though what do I know.)

According to the manual, Error 21 is caused by "Game data loaded from the GD-rom to the Dimm board is corrupted."

Their suggestions to fix the problem are:

Verify the GD-Rom Drive and Triforce connection. (I've done that.)

Check the GD-Rom disc for scratches, dust or dirt. (I've done that.)

Can anyone give me an idea as to what the problem could be, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by OldFoo on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Try reinserting the DIMM board. A little compressed air on the connectors on the main board might do the trick.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:Try reinserting the DIMM board. A little compressed air on the connectors on the main board might do the trick.

It's built in.

Do you mean take apart the mobo and remove the Dimm board?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

first check if you do not have a bad bios that is burn t try swapping one out if you have one or and if possible / if not then yeah if you got the know how, then you can take it apart clean it out look for bad traces/leaking cabs etc etc if not just put it back to getter and put your hands up and pray to god he fixed it ! :smt006 :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hmm.. I misread your post about the fact that you have the Triforce without the external DIMM. So no reinserting the DIMM board there ;)

Have you checked the power supply voltages?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Most likely the 512MB memory stick has a fault on it, not common but does happen.

Other possible problems:

Cable fault

GD-ROM fault
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Most likely the 512MB memory stick has a fault on it, not common but does happen.

Other possible problems:

Cable fault

GD-ROM fault

After I had this problem, I put my Naomi 2 back in with the same GD rom, and SCSI cable.

Popped in Beach Spikers GD rom and it played just fine, no problems at all.

So, I have to think that it's not the GD rom or cable.

Assuming that it might be the 512MB memory stick, what can I do (if anything?)

Thanks,

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Orrimarrko wrote:
AndyGeezer wrote:Most likely the 512MB memory stick has a fault on it, not common but does happen.

Other possible problems:

Cable fault

GD-ROM fault

After I had this problem, I put my Naomi 2 back in with the same GD rom, and SCSI cable.

Thanks,

Steve

Is your Tri-force a 512MB or 1GB model?? What Region is it??
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:
Orrimarrko wrote:

Other possible problems:

Cable fault

GD-ROM fault

Thanks,

Steve

Is your Tri-force a 512MB or 1GB model?? What Region is it??

It's 1GB; JAPAN region.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

bump

My Triforce unit is 1GB, JAP region.

I'll post a pic later of the stickers on the side.