Power for GDrom

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Power for GDrom

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, I'm finally putting everything together and I connect on end to the GDrom and the other end....has just wires?? I think i'm missing something. I looked around here and tried to use the 3.5 power (info from another post here) from my PSU but I think this psu is old because I noticed it's wired differently. Instead of the GNDs being on the end they are in the middle of the connector with Red on the right and yellow on the left. Any ideas on how to connect this??

Oh yeah, tried connecting them anyway, and I either got weird noises out of the speakers and the cable got hot, or the system didn't power on at all...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think you should get the power pinouts before trying 'random connecting'. I hope you didn't fry anything. Hot wires is not a good sign. :smt009

Also, the grounds are supposed to be in the middle of all computer psu connectors. To use a floppy connector, you are supposed to cut it

(with some slack to work with) and connect to correct voltages (or remove the crimps from the molded connector so that correct voltages are present at the right pins).

I have not done this myself, but there are a few in this forum that have. Wait for them to post before trying again.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:I think you should get the power pinouts before trying 'random connecting'. I hope you didn't fry anything. Hot wires is not a good sign. :smt009

Also, the grounds are supposed to be in the middle of all computer psu connectors. To use a floppy connector, you are supposed to cut it

(with some slack to work with) and connect to correct voltages (or remove the crimps from the molded connector so that correct voltages are present at the right pins).

I have not done this myself, but there are a few in this forum that have. Wait for them to post before trying again.

I didn't "randomly" try this. I used the search and came up with this.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I stand corrected. My apologies. I just wanted to make sure you didn't fry any of your equipment. :smt059
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:I stand corrected. My apologies. I just wanted to make sure you didn't fry any of your equipment. :smt059

Too late. I've already fried TWO gdroms. I've already started looking for a third but this time I won't do ANYTHING until i've got the correct type of gd power cable. I know it'll cost me but at this point I don't care. I just want this thing working correctly.

My problem is everyone i've talked to thinks it's so easy to just "wire up" this and that and i'm HORRIBLE at electronics. although I have to admit, the guides on this site have helped a bunch, and even though it's cost me 2 GDroms I've learned a lot about the naomi and electronics in general so it's not a total lost.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If you need GD lasers to replace the fried ones, check out this thread.

This is a life saver, honestly.

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthre ... ight=naomi
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Lachlan wrote:If you need GD lasers to replace the fried ones, check out this thread.

Unfortunately, you have to be a member to view this page. :smt010
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Lachlan wrote:If you need GD lasers to replace the fried ones, check out this thread.

Didn't help, one of the chips on the servo board was fried. Same chip in both gd units.

Sega tech 3, me 0

I need to stop playing this game...either that or change teams... :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Get a cheap dreamcast and do a servo board swap.

Easy.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Lachlan wrote:Get a cheap dreamcast and do a servo board swap.

Easy.

I didn't see the servo board that was mentioned in thread in my DC.