NAOMI Dimm Board Jumpers

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

NAOMI Dimm Board Jumpers

Post by OldFoo »

Is anyone aware of what the jumpers on the DIMM board do?

There are four of them on mine, 3 of them are in a pack to the left, and one is on the right.

I noticed that my GDRom doesn't ever spin down (even after the game is loaded) so I was wondering if maybe one of these jumpers were misassigned.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've wondered the same thing, but have not found any information about them. :smt009
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

jumpers are for the memory configuration as far as I know.

Is it normal for a GD-ROM to keep spinning after game loaded? I never checked!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've taken some photos of the relevant parts, you can see them at:

http://neovanglist.net/~Neovanglist/NAOMI/DIMM/

Sorry for the crappy quality, all I had on hand was my cell phone camera.

Notice that there are also two IC sockets on the daughterboard, also note the small DIP just left of the large Flex 10k FPGA.

I'd need to pull back the sticker and take the part number, but I have a hunch that is a small 8 bit serial EEPROM, probably holding the execution logic for the FPGA.

Also notice that it seems the MainBoard itself has a full socket for another ROM cart... that really doesn't make any sense.

I'm looking at this and wondering if it would be possible to roll our own system for upgrading the DIMM boards to newer firmware, without having the strange illusive DIMM board upgrade disc and a matching IC.

I do embedded/console programming for a living so this kind of stuff is interesting to me, don't know about the rest of you though :)

Maybe someone else knows something in relation to this stuff too?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think after a while its stops spinning & makes they horrible power down sound like with all optical drives.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yep it stops spinning after the game is loaded.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

RGP wrote:I think after a while its stops spinning & makes they horrible power down sound like with all optical drives.
Yeah. It makes the same power down sound as the Dreamcast. As far as I know, I think the reader module is the same.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

the gd unit s are the same as the dreamcast,i just put a brand new in my second gd drive/naomi