Net Dimm problems...trying to get FT running

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
bread

Net Dimm problems...trying to get FT running

Post by bread »

So i have had this N2 for a while, but only today got my hands on a Net Dimm board to finally play my FT :D however, as I am setting up to play, I put the Net Dimm in, slap the security chip into it, connect the GD and boot it up...I don't reach the Naomi 2 screen :smt010

This is my first encounter with a Net Dimm board and am not quite sure if I did something wrong. I am assuming the ethernet port is only for vfnet connection, right? And I am assuming that the serial port is for an external component, right?

So am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my Net Dimm? To make sure it wasn't a MB issue I plugged my standard Dimm in and loaded up GGXX no problem.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The firmware needs to be 3.17, you can check this in the bios screen.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Is it absolutely necessary to have a Net Dimm to play VF:FT?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes,

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

I had it on a non .net, but that was with swapping parts round from a non .net to a .net, as a rule yes though.
bread

Post by bread »

according to MAK this is at 3.17, but i couldn't check it anyway cause it isn't even making it to the Naomi2 screen where it starts loading everything into memory :smt009
bread

Post by bread »

is it possible that it requires a higher ammount of voltage (i.e. should i boost the voltage and try again)? obviously i don't want to ruin the dimm board, let alone my N2 :P
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Putting on a Dimm board does require more 'juice'. Check your voltages while it's plugged in and running. If the measurements are too low, then all that's needed is a little boost with the power adjustment screw. :smt109
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If your other dimm is working with the same voltage it must be the other dimm at fault.
bread

Post by bread »

unfortunately i think that is the case :(
bread

Post by bread »

So, just an update, I figured out what the problem was, thankfully it isn't bad. In transport I had feared that perhaps the RAM had shaken loose or something to that extent, so open it I did. Reseated the RAM and closed it back up...still nothing :(

Opened it up again and realized that the two connectors on the one end of the board that connects the two boards were not quite connecting properly...closed it again, this time making sure they were lining up and it works! So 'something' shook loose, just not what I had originally thought ;)

However it doesn't end there...turns out the firmware is 2.06 :smt010

And it wasn't from MAK, but G-Front, and they had told my friend that it was FT ready...bastards!