Starting my first Naomi project, and it is a doozy!

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Starting my first Naomi project, and it is a doozy!

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all,

My name is Chris. I live in Bellevue, WA and have taken a large interest in a Naomi-powered network game at my local Gameworks - Derby Owners Club. But after my wife and I pumped about $80 into this machine, I started to poke around online and am considering setting up a machine at home.

Now I know that I need a minimum of 6 Naomi systems and DOC carts to even begin this project, which are inexpensive enough to not be prohibitive, but my main question is:

With the development of Naomi emulators that can at the very least run DOC's title screen, do you believe there would be any way to fool the main machine (2 Naomis running together) that I have satellite Naomis running on something other than an actual Naomi?

That came out a little confusing, but I dont think I can say it any other way. Basically, I want to miniaturize the whole setup for home use, and since it is just my wife and I, satellite systems 3 and 4 will not see much use, so if I can minimize my setup there by emulating these two on a netbook or similar, than I would be going a long way to completing my setup.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It appears that I will also need 6 communications boards and some fiber optic cables. So far the shopping list looks like:

6 Naomi systems

6 Derby Owners Club World Wide cartridges

6 Naomi communications boards

4 Derby Owners Club card readers/printers

4 7-inch LCD monitors

4 Fiber-optic communications cables (maybe more?)

4 Sets of controls (7 buttons each ? up/down/left/right/middle/hold/whip)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Probably not. Although 'networking' is a term that is used for simplicity, the systems are actually 'linked'. You need to remember that the Naomi linking system communicates over the optical cabling that is not supported through PC's in this way. This is because the Naomi systems don't use ethernet connections, cabling nor protocols that a PC would interact with. These emulators can be a bit buggy and normally don't support the linking functions.

On the subject of hardware, getting the equipment you mentioned may be easy by comparison. The game uses memory cards to store your progress. This means that you would also have to find and purchase the memory card readers for each Naomi, which are rare on ebay and ultra-expensive through other OEM or arcade retailers (usually more than $1200 each). The game most likely will not run without them. Another thing that's not very obvious is that there is one Naomi system that is the 'master' located where the large master screen is and runs like a server for the player systems called 'satellites'. The 'master' does not look like a typical Naomi system and is enclosed in a metal cage with different ROM software.

In a nutshell, putting together this system from scratch to use at home is not likely without buying the entire complete system outright. This is why no one, at least not on this forum, has done this. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:Probably not. Although 'networking' is a term that is used for simplicity, the systems are actually 'linked'. You need to remember that the Naomi linking system communicates over the optical cabling that is not supported through PC's in this way. This is because the Naomi systems don't use ethernet connections, cabling nor protocols that a PC would interact with. These emulators can be a bit buggy and normally don't support the linking functions.

On the subject of hardware, getting the equipment you mentioned may be easy by comparison. The game uses memory cards to store your progress. This means that you would also have to find and purchase the memory card readers for each Naomi, which are rare on ebay and ultra-expensive through other OEM or arcade retailers (usually more than $1200 each). The game most likely will not run without them. Another thing that's not very obvious is that there is one Naomi system that is the 'master' located where the large master screen is and runs like a server for the player systems called 'satellites'. The 'master' does not look like a typical Naomi system and is enclosed in a metal cage with different ROM software.

In a nutshell, putting together this system from scratch to use at home is not likely without buying the entire complete system outright. This is why no one, at least not on this forum, has done this. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth.

I see, I did think the emulation was a slim chance, thanks for confirming! I have read other places that the home or "master" unit uses 2 normal Naomi machines linked together, I havent seen anything to the contrary, can you provide a source?

The card readers/scanners havent been too much of an issue, there are a few on ebay right now for 20-40 dollars US. I can get a complete system for US $6000, but would like to see if I can miniaturize the whole setup somehow. If I can pull it off it would be pretty sweet, no? :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

In the grand scheme of things, it is really up to the builder to weigh equipment, availability and cost. If you think you can get everything you need together, then all the more power to you. :smt023

In addition to your current parts list, you will be needing power supplies for each Naomi in addition to I/O boards and USB cables to connect the game controls to. Also, you can't mix and match readers because they are specific to each game. In other words, don't expect a reader from Initial D to work with this game, it won't. They have to be from Derby, for Derby. If you push forward with this project, make note that the card readers have their own specialized communication boards and power supplies. If you buy them, see if you can get them together. Otherwise, you will have to fabricate your own..for each.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Any idea what the cable reader/printers have that make them different? Is it simply Sega using hardware DRM to enslave, um... ensure that the arcade's buy replacement parts at a high markup?

The key to all this for me, is being able to take an entire satellite setup, and make it fit on the user's lap, like a small laptop. Combining a control panel, 7" lcd monitor, and card reader. The card reader being the primary focus of this miniaturization idea.

Thanks for the help, its good I dont have to slog through this blindly and on my own entirely!

joshua3dg wrote:In the grand scheme of things, it is really up to the builder to weigh equipment, availability and cost. If you think you can get everything you need together, then all the more power to you. :smt023

In addition to your current parts list, you will be needing power supplies for each Naomi in addition to I/O boards and USB cables to connect the game controls to. Also, you can't mix and match readers because they are specific to each game. In other words, don't expect a reader from Initial D to work with this game, it won't. They have to be from Derby, for Derby. If you push forward with this project, make note that the card readers have their own specialized communication boards and power supplies. If you buy them, see if you can get them together. Otherwise, you will have to fabricate your own..for each.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Think of it this way. All computers do basically the same thing; run software, browse the internet, etc. They all have processors, RAM and hard drives. What makes them different is their make, model and year. When Derby came out, they used the card readers available at the time. When Initial D was released 2 years later, it came out on Naomi2 and they used a different reader model altogether. I've looked at all of the Naomi games that use card readers and I've always asked myself, "Why didn't they just use standardized hardware?". My only answer is that these card readers are 3rd party items and are not made my Sega at all. :111
OldFoo

any more info

Post by OldFoo »

anyone know what main thing needed for the main screen i got my hands on the naomi systems and the found the card readers im looking to make just a 2 bench system for me and my dad. any help would be nice thx
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Your only hope is buying this machine complete..

The main unit at the front is a dual naomi setup with dual monitor (as used on F355 Twin), F355 twin is an expensive (and not common) PCB.

For ?7000 you can pick up a complete DOC machine, doubt anyone could build one for less (not without taking years and years).

Heck even hooking up the reader to the Naomi isn't straight forward, you need to correct Sanwa reader with the right firmware, then you need the protocol conversion board, then all that custom wiring.

This would be a challenge for anyone in the industry for years to create, but for anyone who is new, then I'd think a rare struggle.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yea it looks likes it getting tough but i looking at a few local places who are going out of biz and have the system might just get lucky and buy one