Chihiro at home

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Chihiro at home

Post by OldFoo »

Whats up guys. Is there any alternative to playing Chihiro games in a dedicated cab? I'm thinking Outrun 2 specifically. Model 2/3 is pretty much impossible as far as drivers go, but I was hoping there may be a solution for Chihiro. Lack of space for a cab is the main problem.
OldFoo

Re: Chihiro at home

Post by OldFoo »

lordviper63 wrote:Whats up guys. Is there any alternative to playing Chihiro games in a dedicated cab? I'm thinking Outrun 2 specifically. Model 2/3 is pretty much impossible as far as drivers go, but I was hoping there may be a solution for Chihiro. Lack of space for a cab is the main problem.

Yeah, you can hack a Dreamcast or similar wheel and wire to a JVS I/O Board, and then hack an ATX PSU to power the JVS I/O and Chihiro.

You can do similar with pretty much all Driving games.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thats cool man. Is there anywhere I can find pinouts for some of these things? I wanted to do Daytona 2 ever since I saw that VGA convertor, but if I'm correct it looks like Chihiro would be quite a bit easier as far as the wiring. Thanks for the reply.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Daytona 2 is model 3 so 24KHZ so you need an upscaler to play on vga monitor or lcd/plasma

And hacking a streering wheel to model 3 and or jvs is easy if you know a little bit of how wiring etc etc works
OldFoo

Re: Chihiro at home

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:
lordviper63 wrote:Whats up guys. Is there any alternative to playing Chihiro games in a dedicated cab? I'm thinking Outrun 2 specifically. Model 2/3 is pretty much impossible as far as drivers go, but I was hoping there may be a solution for Chihiro. Lack of space for a cab is the main problem.

Yeah, you can hack a Dreamcast or similar wheel and wire to a JVS I/O Board, and then hack an ATX PSU to power the JVS I/O and Chihiro.

You can do similar with pretty much all Driving games.

Wow thats very cool. I can hack the PSU no bother, I have done that before but what would the pin out be for the drivers.

Is it essentially a pad hack andy.

Cheers

Purplec
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ok So I have had a look at the IO controls on Initial D 3

So I think I know what to do with all the buttoins but its the steering that would have me stumped.

Any advice on this before I go start hacking

Cheers
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well, the steering wheel is an analog control.

The pins marked 1,3 and 5 on CN26 on the I/O all connect to a 5k ohm potentiometer that is part of the steering wheel assembly. The AVCC line is a 5V output that connects to pin 1 on the potentiometer, the GND pin goes to pin 3. The STEERING pin connects to the slider/wiper pin (usually the middle one, pin 2) on the potentiometer. This way, the potentiometer provides an adjustable output voltage on the steering pin (ranging from near 0V to 5V) depending on the position of the potentiometer, which is read by the I/O. The potentiometer is actually nothing more than a variable resistor.
Last edited by OldFoo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So

1,3,5 connect to the steering

7,9,11 conect to the acc

13,15,17 connect to the brake

all the above use pots I take it, would a dreamcast or similar console wheel use pots

Cheers
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

purplec wrote:So

1,3,5 connect to the steering

7,9,11 conect to the acc

13,15,17 connect to the brake

all the above use pots I take it, would a dreamcast or similar console wheel use pots

Cheers

I edited my post above while you were replying :-). Yes, you are correct about the connections. If a dreamcast wheel will provide the same value for the pots, I don't know. It probably does, as Andy suggested using one ;-) And he REALLY knows his stuff. Andy, care to elaborate a little..?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I know I saw someone on youtube using a DC MadCatz wheel for Model 2 Daytona, so I would guess thats a good one to use. I basically wanna play Crazy Taxi for Naomi and Outrun 2 SP on Chihiro, which is why I created this. Let me know how Initial D turns out!