JVS Protocol & MIDI Serial Protocol

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

JVS Protocol & MIDI Serial Protocol

Post by OldFoo »

First one is easy, does anybody have a copy of the JVS USB Protocol ?

Second one is trickier, does anybody have the RX/TX Communications of the MIDI Feedback board.. (I have access to an machine with one, i may have to reverse engineer this one)..
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i got some help from reymer who stated its no USB.. but RS485..

so, i pulled out my logic analyzer and captured some packets, but not making much since of 1/0...

top waveform is RS485, no keys pressed

second waveform is RS485, Player 1 B1-6 Pressed

third waveform is RS485, Player 2 B1-6 pressed
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's all documented very nicely here http://www.jamma.or.jp/siryou/siryou02/JVST_VER3.pdf - if you can read Japanese that is - translation tools will help you a bit. It's a master/slave scheme, where the game queries the I/O board(s) every 60 seconds for the state of inputs.

You also got a PM :)

What are you making?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

just farting around and maybe try to interface analog joysticks instead of having to haul around big clunky steering wheel .

i am more interested in the midi feedback protocol, but i don't think that's published anywhere.

but the rs485 will be a fun project!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Naomi has both serial and midi ports. It is my opinion that it transmits standard midi signals to the feedback board. This idea comes from the fact that it's called a "MIDI Feedback Controller" and the board is not made by Sega, but by a third party for general midi motor control.

I wanted to test the board by analyzing and reproducing the midi signals using a computer. But of the two feedback boards I had, I traded one and found out that the other didn't work. :smt011
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

oh jebus.

31250 baud is fun.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

it was already reversed bu kirua I think with his jvspac encoder...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

CryingFreeman wrote:it was already reversed bu kirua I think with his jvspac encoder...

im pretty sure that is who invzim is., besides, im going the other direction, im working on a slave, not master.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.ph ... #msg326146

maybe it could help or have any additionnal info you need here ? it"s not pretty what are you looking for because i don't know if it's related to the jvs protocol but you'll know better ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think people are making DirectInput drivers for JVS I/O boards.

Thing is in theory it is possible to use a Com port - RS485 converter PCB, and then a JVS I/O board.

Then use a packet driver as an input controller, who knows maybe it's been done..

Would be neat as then you could use analog controls and IR Type 2 on anything that supports DirectInput