Will a Naomi game work w/o the proper hardware configuration

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Will a Naomi game work w/o the proper hardware configuration

Post by OldFoo »

I was curious, I have a Naomi 2 cab with two joysticks and three buttons per side, if I got something like an 18 Wheeler cart would it work in my cab, or would it detect the incorrect control inputs and not work? Will it fire up and just be unplayable? Just wondered if games made for particular hardware/control setups required them to work/boot.

Reason I ask is I'd like to pick up a few carts and have until I can get a proper driving cab but would like to see them working/running to confirm they do work and for my own silly amusement. "Ooo, title screen!"
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The gun games boot like that and some certain drivers the one game that didn't boot for me was vr golf. It needed to see the USB panel

I don't know about 18 wheeler though
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I should imagine it'll load up and tease you with the 'attract' screens as more than likely will run off the standard JVS I/O just it would use the analogue harness for steering/pedals rather than the digital harness.

If your lucky you might even get the start button working :smt005
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thechop wrote:I should imagine it'll load up and tease you with the 'attract' screens as more than likely will run off the standard JVS I/O just it would use the analogue harness for steering/pedals rather than the digital harness.

If your lucky you might even get the start button working :smt005

"Ooo, look! the game starts!" :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Make you appreciate the time and effort put in by the programmers though as its all too easy to press start and ignore the sheer beauty of most Naomi games :smt007
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I could not agree more..!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I was able to get my copy of Virtua Golf to boot up, but never got the control panel functioning. I could either get the buttons to work by passing the input through my Capcom IO... or I could get the Trackball to work by plugging the trackball's IO board directly into the Naomi... But I could never get both functioning at the same time. I think the problem is that I need a sega IO board instead of the Capcom IO... One that will allow for daisy chaining of the USBs.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Maze of the Kings won't boot without a digital I/O connected, but doesn't care if the gun I/O was hooked to it or not, loading wise.

Sega Marine Fishing won't boot complaining that it needed an analog I/O board if you don't have one connected.