A few questions after reading FAQ's, before I spend my $$

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

A few questions after reading FAQ's, before I spend my $$

Post by OldFoo »

I'm pretty well set on purchasing a naomi.

I do not plan on putting it in a cab. I'm building my own CP and I have plenty of soldering experience, so that's no big deal.

I have a few questions after reading FAQ's if anyone can help-

1- If I opt for a capcom IO, I'm assuming at least the IO itself it must be powered via JAMMA. Does anyone know if the -5 pins need to be fed? Or can I just feed the +5's and +12's with a power supply of my choice?

Secondly, if I opt for a sega IO and do not power it through JAMMA, does the normal naomi power supply have a harness to power it, or will I have to make one myself possibly needing a second power supply?

Also, if I opt for a sega IO, does someone have the pinout for the extra CN for the extra buttons? I'm building my own CP for this (no supergun) so as long as I can find the pins for the extra buttons Im good. Since I kind of want to power things directly, not through jamma, it might almost be easier not to use the capcom IO. Also, Im assuming the extra kick buttons can use the common ground from the jamma harness which is going to go to the joystick and main buttons? Or do I need to plan on using more than one ground wire for the CP?

Thanks in advance if you can help with any of this. This site is such a wonderful resource.
OldFoo

Re: A few questions after reading FAQ's, before I spend my $

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:I'm pretty well set on purchasing a naomi.

Welcome!

1- If I opt for a capcom IO, I'm assuming at least the IO itself it must be powered via JAMMA. Does anyone know if the -5 pins need to be fed? Or can I just feed the +5's and +12's with a power supply of my choice?
Not sure.. AFAIK the Sega I/O does not need -5V.. the leads are simply not connected on the PCB. Not sure about the Capcom one..

Secondly, if I opt for a sega IO and do not power it through JAMMA, does the normal naomi power supply have a harness to power it, or will I have to make one myself possibly needing a second power supply?
No, the Naomi PSU does not have a harness to power the I/O, although they are available. Making one yourself will probably be the cheapest alternative. You do not need to use an extra PSU just to power the I/O.

Also, if I opt for a sega IO, does someone have the pinout for the extra CN for the extra buttons?
Yes, AndyGeezer has them on his website:

Also, Im assuming the extra kick buttons can use the common ground from the jamma harness which is going to go to the joystick and main buttons? Or do I need to plan on using more than one ground wire for the CP?
ground is provided on the connector on the I/O (pins 13 and 14)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks a lot! I'm planning to somewhat console-ize a naomi, I intend on making a 2 player CP that wires down to 2 db-15's with a neo-geo like pinout, then wire db15's to the IO. That way I can easily detach the CP, and can make console adapters too (padhack a controller and wire it to a d-sub instead of putting it in its own CP). It's almost looking like the sega IO will be easier for me to deal with.

I've been lurking here off and on for a long, long time; I just never really needed to post. I almost bought a power stone machine in 2005, but I was out of state at the time of the auction and arranging delivery of something like that when I wasn't at home didn't seem like a good idea. Been kicking myself over it ever since. If anyone here frequents racketboy forums, you may know me from there.

thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful resource of a site.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You're welcome!

Consolizing a Naomi is nice. But why not buy a JAMMA Supergun if you are not planning to use the Naomi in a cab..? More fun fabricating it yourself, I presume ;-)?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, it's always fun to build things. There aren't really many JAMMA boards that I care about nearly as much as I like many NAOMI titles. A lot of other stuff I want will probably be non-jamma at this point anyway.

Not to mention being able to use native VGA and not "bastardize" the signal through an encoder sounds nice. If I really need to, in the future, I'm sure I could wire in a video encoder for normal RGB and power to the JAMMA harness and "borrow" it from the naomi. Really though, at this point, I just want a NAOMI, and an excuse to build a nice 2 player CP (I've got a decent collection of console arcade sticks which I've customized)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I ordered my NAOMI, power supply, and a capcom IO :)

Anyone think I'll have a problem using 10' db15 cables for the CP? Or should I try t keep it a little shorter? At this point the plan is to use db15 females at the IO and CP(s) so the cords are interchangeable and not perminantly attached to anything.

Also, idiot noob question, but should I, and where should I plan on putting a power switch into this mess? Not sure if the naomi itself has one, or if the lizardlick power supply (looks comparable to a happ power pro) may have one. Thoughts are appreciated.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:Anyone think I'll have a problem using 10' db15 cables for the CP? Or should I try t keep it a little shorter?
I do not think that it will be an issue. Just use a good quality cable.

Also, idiot noob question, but should I, and where should I plan on putting a power switch into this mess? Not sure if the naomi itself has one, or if the lizardlick power supply (looks comparable to a happ power pro) may have one. Thoughts are appreciated.
You can put a power switch between the mains and the PSU. I have done that with my Naomi test setup, and it works fine. Most arcade cabs are wired the same way (although they often include a power supply filter).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks. The ones I found are shielded but only 28awg. Ill have to see if I can find beefier ones if I have any issues, or if that number scares anyone :)

I'll probably opt for a surge protector or some kind of power conditioner and just use the switch on that.