Smaller motherboard Sega 837-14230 from 2001 is it Naomi?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Smaller motherboard Sega 837-14230 from 2001 is it Naomi?

Post by OldFoo »

I noticed a bare board on eBay with a Naomi BIOS on it (EPR D 21577) (untested and AS-IS) and picked it up thinking it'd be good to put in a case from a dead Naomi if it it works. After receiving it, I noticed that it is a lot smaller than a 837-13544 from 1999 Naomi board and lacks the pass-through connectors on the bottom. Carts fit it, but the plastic of the cart case overhangs past the board edge. It also fits the regular case, just with a lot of room.

I can't find any info on it searching for the part number online. The seller has 1999 Naomi boards listed as Naomi, but doesn't mention 'Naomi' for the auction of these 2001 boards.

Is this just a newer cost-reduced Naomi board or something else that wound up with a Naomi BIOS chip placed on it? I haven't gotten to try it out yet, as it's missing a heat sink on one of the chips, and I still need to make an ATX adapter for power.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The smaller boards can't run HOTD2 & some other dedicated only games due to removal of certain chips.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ah. Cost reduced version then. I'll need to mark it if I end up using it then, particularly if Death Crimson OX is one of those that doesn't work.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

5 Mins play of Death Crimson OX & you'll wish it didn't work.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:smt005 Is it that bad?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I made a vid back when I had it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfENjqATgY