Rotated for shooters....

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Rotated for shooters....

Post by OldFoo »

I was under the impression you could rotate a NAOMI display in software....

.... so I did some searching here and I'm still kind of confused. I saw posts about people rotating their joystick configuration, people saying NAOMI2 could do it and others saying it can't be done without physically rotating the monitor - period.

What's the final answer? Can a NAOMI2 run a vert shmup on a horizontal display rotated correctly or not?

My experience with a NAOMI1 is that it just turns the setup menu text sideways... and the game is sideways (ie: not up/down but left/right).
OldFoo

Re: Rotated for shooters....

Post by OldFoo »

Supa wrote:I was under the impression you could rotate a NAOMI display in software....

.... so I did some searching here and I'm still kind of confused. I saw posts about people rotating their joystick configuration, people saying NAOMI2 could do it and others saying it can't be done without physically rotating the monitor - period.

What's the final answer? Can a NAOMI2 run a vert shmup on a horizontal display rotated correctly or not?

My experience with a NAOMI1 is that it just turns the setup menu text sideways... and the game is sideways (ie: not up/down but left/right).

Rotate the monitor, then go into the test menu and system assignment and change monitor to vertical.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I don't want to rotate the monitor. :)

My cab is horizontal and I generally only use it to play fighters. It doesn't have a rotate switch and I'm not up for swapping the yoke position every time I want to play a shooter....

... BUT I would like to buy some shooters if it's feasible to use them in my cabinet without spinning it around.

I read a NAOMI 2 can be used in this configuration and get the right orientation without 'tate. My NAOMI 1 definitely can't. :)

Is it true the NAOMI 2 can be used or.. ?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I don't think so pal, Naomi 2 just acts as a Naomi 1 when playing those games, no Tate shmups are Naomi 2 only either.

Its rotate monitor or a cricked neck i think.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

if you use a dreamcast through your cab, some shooters do rotate to vertical on a horizontal screen. but tbh rotating the monitor is not hard, with practice it will take less than 5 minutes. or just play hori shooters, zerogunners2, borderdown etc. hth.

cheers.

john bud