Naomi Capcom I/O no power

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi Capcom I/O no power

Post by OldFoo »

Hey everybody! So I just got my hands on a capcom I/o out of a junk cabinet. After pulling it out I tried to use it to power up a naomi board in one of my jamma cabs and the board wasn't even able to power on. I then moved on to testing it on two other working cabs to no avail. I took the casing off to check it for cold solders and bad caps and noticed one of the little orange things was missing from the fb13 spot on the pcb. On further inspection of the bottom of the board it looked like there was never anything soldered there but the top solder points look really suspicious. My question is should there be anything soldered in the fb13 spot? What is it and were could I purchase it? What else could be causing the no power issue? Here are some pics of my I/O and the spot were I believe something is missing.

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

must be different revisions as i've just taken mine apart and the layout is different FB13 on mine is behind the kick harness connector, and where you have eight orange components i have 5.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Curious..: have you checked whether the I/O outputs anything at all (power-wise)? Or is it all 0v?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for tryin thechop. And I'm sorry I should have been more clear in my first post, Voltage is fine with no naomi board being plugged in to the power output of the I/O. As soon as power is hooked to the naomi board the 5 and 3.3v lines both drop to zero voltage. I tested it using a sun psu plugged in to provide power and everything else on the I/O works just fine. So I guess the problem is once it gets under the load of powering the naomi board the 5 and 3.3 v lines drop
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

What are you using to power the Capcom I/O? Have you made sure that the Jamma power is up to par?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Not sure if it is up to par but I have tried it on a showcase cab a woodie and a Aero City all with no success. How many amps does the 5v line need to crank out in order to support the I/O and naomi board? I would think the one in the showcase is ample because I have seen the stock psu in those run the I/O, naomi board and gd-rom.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

To clarify,

What I meant about 'up to par' is to take a measurement of the jamma supply while the Capcom I/O and Naomi are connected. If the Jamma drops suddenly because of the load, them bring up the supply until normal readings are stable (12v & 5v). If you do this, and the Naomi still won't boot, then the jamma supply may not be the problem. In fact, it points to the Capcom I/O as the problem.

(Do the following after checking the above)

I suggest testing the Capcom I/O for functionality (data input). To do this connect the Naomi PSU to the Naomi for power. Connect the Capcom I/O with the Jamma power supply and ONLY the USB cable. Check to see if the Naomi boots. If you receive no errors, then the Capcom I/O is communicating with the Naomi. Otherwise, you will get an error about no I/O being connected (Capcom I/O is dead).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'm sorry allow me to clarify my scenario. I have used the I/O to play games and it works just fine as both a JVS I/O and sound amp as long as I have the naomi plugged into an alternate power supply. The problem only occurs when I try to supply the naomi board with power via the capcom I/O.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ok, that's fine. Have you tried what I mentioned in the first paragraph?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes I have also tried turning up the psu inside the jamma cab to no avail. Thanks for trying though I really appreciate everyone's input.