How to: use naomi crazy taxi cabinet with M.A.M.E. in a PC ?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Once everything is wired, you'll have to configure the board at some point, that's for sure. I can't help you with that part as I've never laid my hands on a U-HID device. And I don't know if there is any other website that sells such a thing :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I really wanna do this also but ideally use an Xbox 360 controller.

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thanks
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

im so sorry i saw this topic so late, i bought an apac for use with model 2 emu, but from what i read here, i will have trouble trying to use this with this emu, however, i have a question for those who were able to wire the 3 potentiometers, 1 for steering and 2 in the same axis for accelerating and braking:

i wired everything according to that posted pic, but when i test using the windows game configuration window, my pots are getting so much "noise", and the acceleration and braking ones are not working the all way they should as shown in the you tube video.

after carefully checking again the wiring, i dont know whats going wrong maybe the pots im using are not adecuate.

can you tell me what are the exact specifications of those potentiometers? i mean, how many "k" and if they area linear or what?, and its brand?

many thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi guys, sorry for the late update :) I got PM's from beaps and 3DFan on youtube but you guys chose to message me when I was preparing to move to another home, and I totally forgot to answer you.

Anyway :

@3DFan

I think you should just have to caliber your apac in the windows menu and everything will work nicely. If not, your pots might be damaged. I used standard sega pots in my cab, 5K linear ones. Take a look at this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31T4k1QqR0

@Beaps

Hacking analog on a 360 pad is quite the same as plugging an APAC. Each pot has 3 pins that must be soldered onto the pad PCB, right where the standard pots are located. When everything is soldered, try it in windows, and if the directions are inverted in the control panel just invert the two outer wires on the incriminated pot.

I abandoned hacking the 360 analog because of the way sega pedals and wheel work. The cog mechanism only make the pots move on half of their course and the 360 PCB wants them to move fully. If they don't you will never be able to accel, brake or steer to the max. I tried to replace sega 5K pots with 10K pots but the result was the same, so I guess the capacity is not an important factor.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i bought 3 5k lienar pots wired as shown in the picture, calibrate them as seen in your video, but im still getting weird behavior with the "pedal" potentiometers.

let me tell i dont have real pedals yet, im just rotating the pots as i think they would with a real pedal.

what im doing from windows configuration is, as a first step, it asks me to center the controller, so i center the wheel pot, and the pedal ones , 1 is rotated entirelly to one side, and the other is rotated symetrically about the 1 pot pedal one, like they were conected to a accel and brake pedals respectively and in a neutral position, then i press a button, windows tells me to move the controls, so, i move all the pots to all directions and finally, i leave them on their initial position, as in the first step, then i press a button, windows asks me to center again, i dont move anything an press a button again, and then i click ok to exit calibration, but now, the wheel pot works fine, but the pedals, if i move the pot which is in the center of the apac picture, it will move to the end of the axis with just rotating about 20% of it, and the other pot will not move after rotating ir completely, i tried connecting all them to the 2 player side, but same results, however if i conect them as seen in the standart ultimarc picture (2 pots for player 1, 2 pots form player 2), the will work fine, so i dont think its a problem related to the pots or faulty cables,

i want to use them for sega model 2 emu, but i have about 50% pedal pots death zone using this metod, have you or someone managed a way to use the apac correctly with sega model 2 emu?