Net Dimm questions

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Net Dimm questions

Post by OldFoo »

I've got a 512MB Network/GD-Rom Dimm and have a couple questions.

It won't reboot the previous loaded game after power off, so I'm assuming the battery is dead? Since the battery isn't holding any charge should I remove it to avoid potential leaking? Is it ok to run with no battery installed until I get around to building a replacement?

Also, I'm currently running dimm firmware v.3.03. Is there an easy way to update the dimm's firmware? Is there a netloading update file or do I have to use a firmware update GD-Rom from a late release game?

I've got both US Rev.G and Jpn Rev.H console BIOSes already and I really want my whole Naomi setup as updated as possible.

Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can run the DIMM without battery just fine. It indeed will hold the game in memory if the battery capacity is sufficient. I do not think these batteries leak that much.

Upgrading the firmware can be one using a update disc. Ask Andy Geezer or check the Market section.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'm also curious of a few things as I'm looking to slowly get into the gdrom game with a baseline naomi- figure a net dimm is the best way to start-

- are there any compatibility issues between the net dimm and the communications mid-cart (for vs. games)- I'm assuming the networking the dimm offers is for the SOLE purpose of netboot, correct?

- is there any other way to upgrade a dimm (aka eeprom reflash or similar), or will I have to search out someone with a gd setup who can flash a dimm for me if I decide to not get a drive immediately- alternately, can one use the netbooting feature to netboot a copy of the upgrade disc?

- Ram in here appears to be standard PC-100/133 series- are there any caveats to handling a ram upgrade on your own?

Thanks (totally a newbie when it comes to naomi stuff here)