Introducing myself and need help with a Confidential Mission

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Introducing myself and need help with a Confidential Mission

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All,

I just joined the forums. I've been a member of KLOV for awhile now, but joined this site as it seems to be the place to get Naomi assistance.

I have a Confidential Mission that I recently disassembled to move down in my basement (my basement stairs are not well configured for moving games, so I usually disassemble the games before moving to get some weight out of the games). The game worked great before the move. I was careful to label all the connections as well as the screws, so I could put everything back 100%.

Now that I've reinstalled all the components everything works great except for the guns. I've confirmed that the triggers work on the input test screen, but get nothing from the guns during gameplay (not even registering a missed shot or reloading the guns). I also tried going to the test screen on the gun calibration menu, but see nothing on the screen to indicate that the game is tracking the guns.

Anyone know where I should start as far as trouble shooting goes? I'm throwing a big St. Patty's day party on Saturday, and would really like to avoid putting a "Out of Order" sign on the game if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Take a camera and take a picture of the I/R sensors around the monitor they should glow purple in the picture. If not check connectors.

T
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Or if you have a handycam with a 'night shot' feature. Sensors should light up like a christmas tree ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I do have a Sony camcorder with the nightshot feature. I took the camera to it, and only the sensor in the lower right (closest to your right side when facing the game) was working. I tried swapping that sensor for another one in the chain, but with the same result (only that location/sensor working). I then went around with the input harness and plugged in each sensor. Every sensor was confirmed to be working, so then I was really confused as none of them would work while connected together.

I then checked the boards again, and noticed the "in" and "out" connections. I had the input harness connected to the "out" connection of the daisy chain (for those that don't know, the beginning of the chain is directly next to the end of the chain).

I went ahead and moved the input harness to the "in" connection for the sensor on the other end of the chain, and they all lit right up. The game now works great.

Now I just need to search and figure out how to rotate the picture on the monitor and the game will be 100% (it's slightly twisted from being square).

Thanks again to you both for your help!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You're welcome :-)

Could you post a picture of the monitor in action (preferably the testgrid, available after pushing the test button)?

Cageman

PS. You cannot directly upload pictures to sega-naomi.com. Upload to imageshack/flickr/etc, and then post a link to the picture, using this syntax:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://www.imageshack.com/picture.jpg[/IMG]
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Attached are 3 photos with the monitior displaying the tes grid (notice that teh sensors are lighting up nice and bright :D) . As you can see, it's not off too much but is enough to be annoying. Any idea how to rotate the picture?

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If you've not change any wiring on the gun bezel (sensors around the screen), then it narrows it down to two possible things:

Guns not plugged into the gun board - but as trigger works I doubt that.

Harness from Gun board to the analogue (26pin JST RA) connector is not plugged in correctly.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Virtua Fan wrote:... Any idea how to rotate the picture?

Depending on your monitor you may have some adjustments to correct the picture rotation seen in photos using a pot or for digital monitors an adjustment mode.

Do you know what monitor you have?

If there is no adjustments the other way is moving the yoke but this should be a last resort as it could effect picture and tube convergence.

T
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This may sound obvious, but also check if you can physically mount the monitor differently: loosen the screws used to secure the CRT to the monitor frame, rotate, and fasten again. I did this with my NAC to compensate for a slightly rotated frame. There is slack on these mounting points to allow for proper monitor placement. Not much, but there is some ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks again for the tips! The monitor is a Wells Garnder D9200 monitor. I've checked the schematics and don't see a pot for picture rotation. The monitor has a bonded yoke, so that option is out.

I'll probably try recapping it to see that that helps. I'd be kind of suprised if a monitor that's less than 10 years old really needs a cap kit so soon, but the kits are cheap enough and easy enough to install that it's worth a shot.

I'll also try physically rotating the monitor tube in the mount. I think I need it to rotate more than have available in slack, but maybe it can help cut down on the rotation a bit.