Blast City kick problems, wiring help.

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Blast City kick problems, wiring help.

Post by OldFoo »

So I just hooked up my kick harness I got here:

http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/the ... ockid=1471

I already had buttons 1-4 hooked up on my Jamma harness, so I followed the color coded information on the wires from Andy:
Player 1

Button 4 = White/Red [1]

Button 5 = White/Blue [2]

Button 6 = White/Yellow [3]

Gnd = White [5]

Player 2

Button 4 = White/Black [6]

Button 5 = White/Grey [7]

Button 6 = White/Orange [8]

Gnd = White [10]

and then used that to help me figure out the connector on my I/O board along with this info:

The pinout is from up to down:

ground2

ground1

P2B6

P1B6

P2B5

P1B5

P2B4

P1B4

So, I got a Molex 2695 series connector, 8 slot and with pins. So I followed all of this and simply ran the correct cables on the kick harness to my buttons 5 and 6, and then made a cable with the Molex connector and ran them on to the pins on the I/O and just didn't hook up anything to do with button 4 as I already have it working. I also of course hooked up the ground from the kick harness to the buttons (which are shared if you look at the kick harness), and ran those to ground1 and ground 2 on the pins.

I go to start up Samurai Spirits 6 on my Atomiswave and nothing. What gives? I tested the cables I made into the Molex before putting it in and the all had a good connection. I also double checked I did indeed hook it up all right like how it is shown. Still nothing.

So heres my questions. By having button 4 hooked up through Jamma am I some how screwing up whats going through those pins on the I/O since it calls for button 4 as well? Also, all my buttons 1-4 share a common ground, but my buttons 5-6 share a different ground; through the kick harness and to the gound pins on the I/O it was labeled for. Do I need to just hook up all of the buttons together with a common ground and just not use the grounds on the I/O for the kick?

Or is there some sort of switch I need to hit to get it to recognize something is plugged into the kick section of the I/O? I am at a lost here, was hoping to finally have all my buttons working so I can play my fighting games. Any help is appreciated! Also, this cab did use to be a Bass Fishing cab, but has been converted back to stock if that matters.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

from the actual buttons # 5, 6 etc you should be going into one of the AMP connectors just like any JP control panels joystick and buttons 1, 2, 3 etc.

Usually buttons 4, 5, 6 all go to their own connector on the CP.

Those connectors would terminate at the yellow arrow spot in the pic you provided.

What you would need to do for Atomiswave is run button 5 at the yellow arrow to the jamma harness connector where Atomiswave is looking for button 5.

For CPS2 you would run the the corresponding wires from the yellow arrow area to the proper holes on the CPS2 Kick harness.

Hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe in words.

Button --> Extra button harness --> Blast City innards --> "Yellow Arrow" --> kick harness (or terminate it on the right place on the Jamma harness for Atomiswave)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think I see what your saying. I'm running my cables straight from the CP to the yellow arrow spot. Is that wrong? Your supposed to treat those pins as more of an "out" than an "in"? I figured hooking it up there made it go through the I/O board and just work.

So do I run it purely as an out or can I plug into it straight from my CP? I can see how I would run a wire from those pins to the right place on the harness.

Would about Naomi? Is there a certain way to do it for that as well?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Otoko no Zenyou wrote:I think I see what your saying. I'm running my cables straight from the CP to the yellow arrow spot. Is that wrong? Your supposed to treat those pins as more of an "out" than an "in"? I figured hooking it up there made it go through the I/O board and just work.

So do I run it purely as an out or can I plug into it straight from my CP? I can see how I would run a wire from those pins to the right place on the harness.

Would about Naomi? Is there a certain way to do it for that as well?

sounds like we're on the same page now.

For atomiswave you can run the wire from the harness to the #5 buttons, no problem as long as you ground the button too, you can splice the ground off another button without issue.

For Naomi you would have 4, 5, 6 on the IO, so yellow area to CPS2 kick harness to Capcom IO for example. Without an IO I think Naomi will take button 4 off the jamma harness. The info would all be out there, not positive off the top of my head.

Using the yellow arrow spot isn't needed at all, it's just nice and clean. You can just run wires from the buttons to what ever kick harness end you want and of course the correct spots on the jamma harness itself if the game is looking there for a button.

I have a New Astro where the kick buttons terminate on 3 different kick harnesses, they are just spliced together, not pretty but very useful and versatile.

good luck!