Need help with my Naomi conversion

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Need help with my Naomi conversion

Post by OldFoo »

Hello all,

Long time lurker- first time poster!

Here's the deal: I've wanted a Naomi arcade cabinet for a number of years for the sole purpose of playing Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

A few years back, I purchased a Street Fighter 2 CE cabinet from a fellow on my local Craigslist. I cleaned it up a bit and started putting money away to convert it.

I finally won an auction a few weeks ago for a Naomi motherboard, MvC2 cartridge and a Capcom I/O converter.

Yesterday, I ran home during my lunch break to retrieve the package from my porch. I took it inside and immediatly connected it to my cabinet. Unfortuntetly, the I/O converter is built for a CPS2 kick harness and my cabinet has a CPS1 harness... So I know I have to make that fix (ordered the correct harness.)

I let the game run just to make sure everything is functioning. The game and sound fired up after about 3 minutes of the Game Loading Now screen... However, after the character selcet screen, the game presented a white screen and didn't go any further.

Later in the evening I tried to run the system again. This time the Naomi logo appears and then it goes to Game Loading Now Screen and just sits there :smt013

Any ideas of what I need to do?

I contacted the gentleman who sold me the game and motherboard and he assured me that he had it running on the bench for 3 days before sending it. He feels it might be my power supply, but I've never done anything that advanced with my cabinet... If that is it, what would I need and how difficult would these be for someone with little to no wiring/ electrical experience?

Thanks everyone for helping my ten year dream finally become a reality! (hopefully)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Naomi system uses more power than your average jamma pcb. As you mentioned that this cab was running SF:CE, I can assume your cab has a standard arcade power supply. You will need to adjust your psu to supply more power to compensate for the extra Naomi muscle. This adjustment is best done with a voltage meter to protect against burning out your system. However, if you don't have or know how to use one, then small incremental adjustments until the system is stable should work.

Just so that you know, that without a meter there is some risk involved. It is my suggestion that you get yourself a meter since the fact that you have arcade hardware electronics means you are going to need one anyways. :smt045
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:The Naomi system uses more power than your average jamma pcb. As you mentioned that this cab was running SF:CE, I can assume your cab has a standard arcade power supply. You will need to adjust your psu to supply more power to compensate for the extra Naomi muscle. This adjustment is best done with a voltage meter to protect against burning out your system. However, if you don't have or know how to use one, then small incremental adjustments until the system is stable should work.

Just so that you know, that without a meter there is some risk involved. It is my suggestion that you get yourself a meter since the fact that you have arcade hardware electronics means you are going to need one anyways. :smt045

Thanks for the suggestion! - Again, I apologize for being a 'noob' ... where would I find a meter? (would you mind providing a link or PMing more info?) Also, how do I use one; what do I look for? (Is there a wikki or tutorial video out there?)

Here is a picture of the power supply that's in the cabinet if it helps:

Many thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This is your average digital--->Multimeter. The way you use it is like this:

1) You first set the meter to the 20v range on the 'DC' side.

2) The 'black' lead from the meter goes to the 'GND' (ground) terminal of the psu.

3) The 'red' lead is what you would use to check the 12v, 5v & 3.3v terminals.

Caution: Do not touch any of the terminals with your bare hands/skin as you know that humans and electricity don't mix. Also, don't put the meter leads on the any of the brown wire or empty terminals. These are 'AC' power terminals coming from your wall outlet and might burn out the meter while using 'DC' mode.

These measurements need to be made while the system is on and running to get accurate readings. Turn the black knob towards the 'H' to raise the voltage. There is an acceptable amount of error when working with these devices. Seeing 12.1v, 5.05 & 3.37, for example, would be fine and no further adjustment will be needed; it doesn't have to be perfect. When all is said and done, run the system and monitor for any other issues that may arise.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

And for some extra 'picture clarity', check out my post here:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... 3416#23416
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

WOW :)

This is great information!!! Thanks!!!

I went ahead and ordered the Multimeter that Joshua3dg linked. Once it arrives in the mail, I will check the numbers and report back.

I can only assume the system needs more juice. At first I was REALLY afraid of the idea of replacing a power supply, but everyone here is giving me a ton of confidence- Many thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

ZOMG!!!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!

So excited this morning!

I was getting ready to run into the office for a few hours this morning and I couldn't stop thinking about how badly I want my cabinet to run this game.

On a whim I decided I would fire it up before I left. I yelled down stairs for my wife to adjust the volume and turn the game on for me. She asked how to turn the volume up and I said there's a little black knob on the silver box; connected to the Jamma....

I'm brushing my teeth and I hear, "its on a different screen than the load screen!!!! Come quick!"

I raced down the stairs and it was working!

Then it hit me, no sound!

I asked what she did and she said I turned the little black knob the whole way. - It was the power supply. (Thank goodness it didn't fry the Naomi!)

I adjusted the sound and 'Let it take me for a ride.'

Unfortunetly, I still had to come into the office, but I had enough time for a few rounds. Also, I turned it off and back on again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Now I just need to wire a CPS2 harness into the cabinet (playing without kicks is a challenge!)

Thanks everyone!!!!

Here are a few before and after pictures of the cabinet :D (It's not much, but it makes me pretty happy!)

This is the side after some sanding:note the bright colored Centipede art and the HORRIBLY cut cabinet!

This is the control panel opened up. I need to order new switches and buttons and then soder them.

This is my dad fixing the poorly cut cabinet. I did the other side and managed to get a splinter on my eye (It was excruciating BTW)

My finished cabinet with new custom marquee:

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Poor Millipede cabinet. :smt010
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Why would anyone butcher a cabinet like that? :smt013
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:Why would anyone butcher a cabinet like that? :smt013

I bought it like that from a guy on Craigslist (for $150) He said him and his buddies would get stoned and drunk and play it. They kept hitting their hands end elbows off of the sides; so he took a saw to it! - I'm doing my best to make it look nice again... Hoping to get some custom side art once I finish fixing up 'the guts.'