New to Naomi - sound problem :(

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

New to Naomi - sound problem :(

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all,

Really delighted to have picked up my first Naomi Cab and im desperately trying to catch up and get my head around everything.

My first cab arrived this week (it's a Naomi in a 'Woody' cab).

I've started up the cab and everything works great apart from the sound. Via the test mde i turn on both speakers but as soon as i exit (and go back in) they have returned to 'off'.

Everything seems wired up properly, the only thing i can see is one speaker wire has snapped off a speaker, could this cause the issue?

second noob question alert - is it possible to change screen contrast and brightness?

Good to be here!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The speaker options are only for testing, they do not control usage over the speakers.

The speaker won't work unless it has both leads connected.

Other than that, what is the problem? No sound at all? If so, check the wiring and make sure the RCA connectors (red and white) are firmly in the Naomi and the amp. Make sure the wiring isn't faulty. Check the amp is working. Just a few things to do
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

agreed make sure the AMP is getting power, check the transformer that goes into the AMP, big black metal/heavy thing, follow that back from the main power into cabinet, as without that being powered it wont power the AMP, then visually check to see if there are LEDS on the AMP when game is running, then check wires from AMP to the speakers themselves, if you save you have a broken wire, then that could well be the culprit, if for any reason its a dead AMP, I have spares of those your welcome to, just cover shipping

as for the monitor, depending on the monitor, it should/most likely have a remote board that adjusts contrast, brightness, vert/hori position etc, could be ziptied to the monitor chassis, screwed to side of cabinet, remove the back door of cabinet and look for it, its a small board maybe 3" x 2"

any pictures will help determine this :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thank you both, really appreciated!

The LED's are ok on the AMP, i'll have a look at that disconected wire tonight, the other speaker is wired ok...

Looking forward to getting the monitor sorted, have seen that board, just didnt like to touch!

I'll get some snaps together (it's a work in progress cab though - a bargain - i think - at ?60)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Did the other speaker make sound?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No there was nothing at all from either - anything i should take pictures of in particular to help figure this out?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'd check all wiring looks good first, then I'd check the sound AMP works OK (You can plug in an MP3 player witha Stereo Jack to RCA cables in, power the cab up and play a song). Might also be worth it to hookup the Naomi's sound out to a different source, such as a Hi-Fi or TV with Composite input, just to see if the sound is working.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Solved! Thanks guys, turns out the faulty input to the one speaker was to blame, bandaged up and working great!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Good to hear! :smt020