New to Naomi - Questions about Ninja Assault

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

New to Naomi - Questions about Ninja Assault

Post by OldFoo »

I'm new to Naomi and arcade hardware in general and have a few questions that I was not able to find answers to in weeks of searching.

I bought a Dynamo showcase cabinet with Midway's Invasion installed and would like to also install my Naomi system in the same cabinet.

The Naomi came with Ninja Assault and the necessary PCBs, but no wiring. I want to be able to switch between the two games, but I need to know one thing before I go through a lot of work making custom harnesses for everything. Will Ninja Assault work with my monitor?

I have a 33" monitor with a sharp image board that says KTM-F 33. From searching it seems that this board can do both 15khz and 25khz - but you have to switch a connector on the board every time you switch modes.

In the Ninja Assault operator's manual, the wiring schematic shows a 31khz monitor. Will the game still work if I run it in 15khz mode?

If the answer is no, how do I go about getting a monitor that fits in my cab which will run both Invasion and Ninja Assault?

Is it possible to change out the boards on my existing monitor to one that will allow me to run 31khz?

I have a CRT projector in my theater which I also use for Mame/Final Burn. I guess I am spoiled by it since it will scan to pretty much any scanrate you give it anywhere in the range from 15-135 khz. My video card can't output 15khz, so I use the doubling feature in Final Burn to keep the pixels the correct shape. I don't like scanlines anyway and run my Genesis through a line doubler.

I'll continue to search for the answers, but any help is appreciated!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can set Dip Switch #1 to ON to change the Naomi to 15khz mode, but I don't know if Ninja Assualt needs 31. Also you need to have the Sync from the VGA out to the gun board as the guns are like G-Cons, needing CRTs and Sync rates to know where it was aiming.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Well thanks for the response anyway!

And thanks for the heads up about the sync cable, but I knew about it from the wiring diagram. It says 2-core screened cable, but meh I'll probably just use some solid core strands from an ethernet cable. Or maybe an old cd-rom audio cable.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I wouldn't use a CD-DA cable, I doubt it would make a good cable for syncing.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

We might not be talking about the same cable.

Here's a pic: http://media.digikey.com/photos/Assmann ... 525-.5.jpg
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

We are talking aboout the same thing, I just question the qaulity those cables provide.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Let us know how it works out. I still haven't gotten to making everything to test my Ninja Assault set yet. For sync only, it shouldn't matter unless there is a large source of interference near it, but the loop-through for the monitor will need higher quality.

I'm guessing you got this from the same seller I did, so keep the box it came in. The Naomi logo box is actually collectible on forums like these.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

tom61 wrote:The Naomi logo box is actually collectible on forums like these.

Tell me about it :smt012
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS wrote:

Worth it's weight in gold ;-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:
NaokiS wrote:

Worth it's weight in gold ;-)

The only way I'll ever get one is either spending shedloads (lol), or by tricking someone into believing they're as common as muck lol :smt005