Convert Daytona 2 USA to NAOMI/Chihiro - Possible?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Convert Daytona 2 USA to NAOMI/Chihiro - Possible?

Post by OldFoo »

Are there any links to step by step conversion anywhere?

I searched this forum and Google but did not find anything :smt010

I have a Model3 Daytona 2 USA cab and want to run some NAOMI/Chihiro Drivers

Anyone know what would take to convert and what games would be possible to play with the widest game list

I am gussing I need...

NAOMI/Chihiro

MIDI Board

Not sure what else.

Anyone have any ideas? Or anyone parting out a NAOMI/Chihiro Driver

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AFAIK Model 3 games are 24khz (Though some people state they're high-res), so first, check your monitor has the ability to do either 15Khz or 31Khz. Second, check your power supply to see if it outputs 3.3v.

With those out of the way, it's as simple as making adaptor harness for the Naomi or Chihiro. You'll need an I/O board aswell, and I'd recomend the JVS Type 1.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

NaokiS wrote:AFAIK Model 3 games are 24khz (Though some people state they're high-res), so first, check your monitor has the ability to do either 15Khz or 31Khz. Second, check your power supply to see if it outputs 3.3v.

With those out of the way, it's as simple as making adaptor harness for the Naomi or Chihiro. You'll need an I/O board aswell, and I'd recomend the JVS Type 1.

That is only the beginning ;-) Main issue will be the FFB section. Dpending on platform/game you will need a specific motor drive PCB. A Model 3 cab is the best platform to start with. The motor drive PCB you now have as part of the Daytona 2 setup is not usable for Naomi/Chihiro, afaik. The MIDI motor driver pcb can be used for OR2, ID, etc.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

OUCH, Forgot about the Monitor.

What is the best stidown cab to play NAOMI / Chihiro Drivers?

I may just sell one of my Daytona cabinets and get something that is a better starting point.

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Best one I can think of off the top of my head is an ID cab or a OutRun 2 cab.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I agree. Or any Model 3 cab. Scud Race, LeMans, Sega Rally 2, Daytona Usa 2, Emergency Call Ambulance, etc.

Big advantage of an ID cab is the presence of the MIDI motor driver PCB.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have most of the NAOMI stuff minus the MIDI board and whatever custom wiring needed I am guessing.

I totally forgot about the monitor being only 24kHz

So if I can find a tri-sync monitor on the cheap I might still go with the conversion

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi Again,

I think I am going to go ahead with the conversion

I do have a Model 3 Cabinet (Daytona 2 USA PE)

Outside of Tri Sync Monitor and MIDI board what else would I need?

Are the wiring looms pretty much the same or will I have to do a lot of custom looms?

Also, is there a list of Chihiro and NAOMI games that will play once converted?

Any links for anyone that has done this conversion (I looked but could not find anything)

Thanks

Bob Presutti
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Actually Outrun 2 (not SP) can work with the Model 3 feedback setup, if you use the F355 drive board rom - it's not perfect but it is a lot better than nothing.